How to ID Turkey

Try71

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
How can I tell if these are broad breasted
080A9E87-96CC-4292-AA7F-28D2B6B0D23B.jpeg
or not? The people selling them tell me they are heritage, but I keep asking what breed. I’m not convinced they know what they are talking about. If these are a heritage breed I really don’t care, but I would like to know for sure.

How can I tell if these are broad breastedView attachment 2417413 or not? The people selling them tell me they are heritage, but I keep asking what breed. I’m not convinced they know what they are talking about. If these are a heritage breed I really don’t care, but I would like to know for sure.
The breed is Turkey. All domestic turkeys are the breed turkey. These appear to be a mixed variety of heritage turkeys. If you stand over one and place a hand on each side of the breast, your hands should form a V. If they were BB (broad breasted) your hands would form a U since the BB breast is much wider. BB also tend to have much heavier legs.

These may be heritage Bronze or they may have something mixed in. It is difficult to tell from this photo.

The breed is Turkey. All domestic turkeys are the breed turkey. These appear to be a mixed variety of heritage turkeys. If you stand over one and place a hand on each side of the breast, your hands should form a V. If they were BB (broad breasted) your hands would form a U since the BB breast is much wider. BB also tend to have much heavier legs.

These may be heritage Bronze or they may have something mixed in. It is difficult to tell from this photo.

Thank you. When someone asks you, “What breed of dog do you have?”. Do you say, “dog”? There ARE heritage breeds of the species Meleagris gallopavo (domestic turkey).

Thank you. When someone asks you, “What breed of dog do you have?”. Do you say, “dog”? There ARE heritage breeds of the species Meleagris gallopavo (domestic turkey).
You do not get to define the breed turkey by how the the word breed is used for other species. The APA recognizes one breed, Turkey. They recognize 8 Varieties of the breed Turkey. There are many other varieties that are not recognized and many can be seen at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

If you want to be knowledgeable about turkeys, learn the proper terminology for them.

Back
Top Bottom