how to improve deformed silkies quality of life?

PASSPORTGUARDIAN

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2022
hello, its been a while since ive posted here but im glad to be back. im unsure if i used the right topic for this question so please correct me if im wrong

i have a 7 month old silkie named pip with deformed toes since birth and stunted growth, she is constantly dirty and starting to have a harder time walking than previously. i have to keep giving her baths every other day because she doesnt know how. its not just 'oh shes got some dirt on her' she literally gets so covered in mud youd think she wasnt even a chicken. she also gets mud in her nose and struggles to breathe but wont let me clean it and i dont want to accidentally hurt her. the others in her pen dont ever look like that, or rarely when they do the next day theyre clean. theyve been cleaning themselves but i dont think she is. i unfortunately cant be with her 24/7, in fact im gone all day until night time and i have to put her in her house because she doesnt know how to do it herself. she depends on me. is there any way i can improve her quality of life or do i judt keep doing what i am? i feel so bad for her and im unsure what to do. shes still eating and drinking though, nutrience arent an issue. thank you

hello, its been a while since ive posted here but im glad to be back. im unsure if i used the right topic for this question so please correct me if im wrong

i have a 7 month old silkie named pip with deformed toes since birth and stunted growth, she is constantly dirty and starting to have a harder time walking than previously. i have to keep giving her baths every other day because she doesnt know how. its not just 'oh shes got some dirt on her' she literally gets so covered in mud youd think she wasnt even a chicken. she also gets mud in her nose and struggles to breathe but wont let me clean it and i dont want to accidentally hurt her. the others in her pen dont ever look like that, or rarely when they do the next day theyre clean. theyve been cleaning themselves but i dont think she is. i unfortunately cant be with her 24/7, in fact im gone all day until night time and i have to put her in her house because she doesnt know how to do it herself. she depends on me. is there any way i can improve her quality of life or do i judt keep doing what i am? i feel so bad for her and im unsure what to do. shes still eating and drinking though, nutrience arent an issue. thank you
This may not be ideal but have you thought of making a wire bottom penn off the ground of a similar size? With woodchips to prevent mud and water? We have some banties in the small one and they so far aren't getting as filthy as they did on the ground. That being said, their only in there for recovery. But I think if you made one the full size of a small coop it might help with the filth issue at least.

This may not be ideal but have you thought of making a wire bottom penn off the ground of a similar size? With woodchips to prevent mud and water? We have some banties in the small one and they so far aren't getting as filthy as they did on the ground. That being said, their only in there for recovery. But I think if you made one the full size of a small coop it might help with the filth issue at least.
ill try that, thank you! do you have any tips on how to set it up? and i love your username by the way

ill try that, thank you! do you have any tips on how to set it up? and i love your username by the way
Thank you. Decide how high off the ground you want it, then measure out pieces for the legs and frame. Once that's done then work on the walls and wire floor (suggest a animal safe coated chicken wire) then roof should be measured and added last. For a shelter, the floor should be solid with no lip for her to step over and trip on.

I would suggest adding a door on the Outdoor part of it and one on the indoor one for ease of cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom