How to incubate Button Quail Eggs?

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
My female just layed her 6th egg. So the oldest one is six days old.
I have a very large home made incubator and I want to incubate these eggs. I know the incubator can go to at least 100 degrees. I know the smaller the egg the higher the temp has to be, so what would it be for buttons? For the humidity do I just put a pan of water in it? I have never tryed to incubate anything in this incubator before so thats why I wonna try it out. Thanks for all your help!
smile.png

Some sources say 102 degrees, others 100 degrees--for still air incubators. I think it is 99 for forced air incubators. I used the Little Giant still air incubator set at 102, keeping the water pan full and successfully hatched 2 out of 8 eggs. They hatched on day 16. But, that was my first experience incubating eggs. I have the current batch set at 100 degrees, so I'm looking forward to comparing results. Be sure to visit the button quail bulletin board if you haven't already:
http://www.voy.com/13979/
Jennifer

yeah i hatched 15 buttons last year and i did everything just like
chicken eggs..same temp humidity just the 14 day turning
and 17 complete hatch time..though i have seen others use a higher temp..
and seen buttons hatch at 16 days and stop turning at 13 days..so i guess mine
hatched one day late due to low temp..i think
smile.png

minimum 3 times a day..
i use to do 4 times but had trouble with the six hour
intervals.. than the three times a day of eight hours which allow for better sleep
tongue.png

yes its good
still air it should be 102 in forced air 99-100
and i keep my humidity always high i never let it drop below 65..
try to get it higher as hatch day approches i use to use only the still
air but now got one with a fan.. but thats basically it..
smile.png

The incubator I has a fan. I don't know to to turn the temp up or down? This is the first time I have ever used this incubator so I don't really know how to run it. For the humidity I just have a pie pan full of water at the bottom of the incubator. ( It has 3 or 4 levels. )

No one kill me for this but
big_smile.png
I used to claim that quail eggs (of the button, coturnix, and bobwhite variety at least) could hatch on a hot rock. Much less tempermental than chicken eggs to hatch, IMO. Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom