how to inject utility into strain?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brummie, Feb 5, 2015.

1. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    Just trying to figure out how I can get some utility back in some show birds. Complete newbie at selective breeding so bear with me.

I want to improve my strain of Light sussex. I want to get bigger size fowl, faster and laying more eggs (who doesn't).

If I was to cross a LS roo with a RIR pullet
    then choose the best Roo from offspring and mate back to a LS pullet
    then for the next 4 or 5 generations selectively choose the best roo of each generation to mate back to a LS mother, I will pretty much be at pure Light sussex again.

If I have been selecting carefully will I still be able to keep most of the vitality and egg laying and growth rate that comes with the original crossing of Light Sussex with the RIR?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    There is a lady in Vancouver British Columbia who is a retired biologist. her name is Emily Robertson. Emily has successfully been using population genetics to restore the utility values of her Light Sussex. She is experienced and successful at shipping birds and eggs across the border to the USA. I highly recommend her if you are looking to outcross your Light Sussex to add in utility value. her birds also win in the shows. As you know, the production values in the Light Sussex are very closely allied to the show points. I think you will be happy if you contact her. I will warn you, Emily is not a fan of line or inbreeding. However her birds are lovely. She is very knowledgeable and willing to share info. here is her website. http://truenorthfarm.ca/
    Do not cross your Light Sussex to another breed. It is not necessary.
    Best,
    Regards,
    Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

3. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    I'd love to get some of her LS, but I'm not in the US. If I was able to get a good strain of LS then I would not cross to another breed but is there any specific reason you advise against it? Will my sussex not be pure after 5 or 6 generations of breeding back to LS?

Here in the UK there are lots of Light sussex available all over the place, it's our most popular chicken, but finding a strain that gets to over 2kg at 16 weeks is almost impossible. That's why I was thinking maybe outcross to another fast maturing DP bird and then breed back to get pure strain again to get a faster growing meatier LS?

Also, I have to line breed, I do not have the space to have so many pens like truenoerthfarm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by