How to Integrate new hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ICB42, Apr 8, 2016.

1. ICB42

ICB42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2015
    Hello! I currently have a flock, and right now its mainly roosters on accident, but we are working on getting the flock bigger, I have hens who are 10 weeks behind them, and they are still a little small, so we are waiting to integrate them. however someone i know is giving me 3 hens that are three years old, so I was wondering what the best way to integrate them would be? thanks in advance!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Roosters will take hens in,and won't fight unless needed.So you could put EVERYBODY in there asap,see what happens.letting them fight is also a great choice,things go fatser.

3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

A few questions...How many hens that are 10 weeks younger than the roosters? How many roosters? The basic rule for roosters is ONE rooster to TEN hens. Any more roosters than that and it will be very hard on your hens.

#1 rule on integrating new chickens to your flock is to keep the new ones away from your flock for 30 days to ensure they won't be introducing disease to your own flock.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good questions, I would add ....how old are 'mainly roosters flock' and how old are the '10 weeks younger hens'?

1:10 is for fertility efficacy in commercial breeding facilities...backyard ratios can be a vary depends on ages, housing, and goals.

Quarantine of new birds can depend on the sentimental and /or financial value of the birds.
    Doing a true bio quarantine is difficult in a BY setting.
    BYC Medical Quarantine Article
    Poultry Biosecurity
    BYC 'medical quarantine' search

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by