How to introduce a flock of new birds to my one chicken?

SueMcQuade

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2018
Hi, I’m looking for help/ideas on how I go about introducing a new flock of 4 chickens to my coop that has only one lady left? Her two friends died recently and I’d like to get more chickens, but she really is flighty and nervous and the stress has caused her to stop laying. So I’m worried about her freaking out further. Any ideas how best to introduce a group of new chickens? At night onto the sleeping perch area? In the day and just hope they all get along? What can you suggest? Thank you...

If your new chickens are adult size, I would introduce the whole group together in the run during daytime. I WOULD SUGGEST FREE-RANGE, BUT NOT SURE YOU DO THAT. If there are scuffles, then separate the one resident aggressor. At night put all chickens into coop, but place you solo chicken into a dog cage, or whatever you have, to separate. Do same next day as first. Eventually all your chickens will be fine and friendly (somewhat) to each other. Please consider that there will always be a pecking order, and small skirmishes are normal.
Don't be too concerned about chicken freaking out. You wont need to contact Dr. Phil.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom