How to introduce a new chicken?

monica

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Indianapolis
Hi everyone. I'm new to chicken keeping. I posted about 2 months ago when I obtained a Barred Rock and Dorking - they were teenagers then. Well, the BR turned out to be a boy chicken, but I was able to switch him out for a BR hen that was already laying - her name is Rogue. Soon after, Storm, my Dorking, began laying too. Well, I want more eggs, so yesteday, I got an EE named Jean Grey. (Yes - my girls are named after X Men characters.)

My question: How do I get Storm and Rogue to accept their new hen house mate? Storm is dominant, and HARRASSES Jeanie. So I'm keeping Jeanie locked in during the day, and only allowing Storm and Rogue in at night, when they go straight to bed. Is this a good technique? What can I expect on Monday, when all 3 must stay in during the day until I get home from work? Jean is about 19 weeks, tall and skinny. Storm largish and VERY agressive toward Jeanie. Rogue just squawks at her.

What do you all think? Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

You could try to reset the pecking order by taking out the top chicken for a while. When she comes back, she might not be so peckish.

Try doing it at night while they are sleeping.then when they wake up in the am,they will already be together.There still will be some fighting til they re-arange. Will

Do you really think it's a good idea to keep Jean Grey locked up? She could turn on you and destroy us all, though I agree that Storm probably does belong outside.
wink.png

My understanding is that it's a good idea to quarrantine chickens for a month to be sure not to introduce any illnesses to your chickens. Is there is any way to temporarily set up the new one next to the old ones? Maybe with a little igloo dog house enclosed in a small hardware cloth run? That way they can safely get to know each other without actually having contact.

Last edited:
First of all you have to quarantine the new bird from the others for 4 weeks in order to determine health. After that, keep her seperate but visible to each other for a couple weeks then try to put them together.

Thanks for replies, everyone. Wow, I didn't know I should quarantine Jean Grey. Guess I'll have to devise a temporary home for her tomorrow. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom