how to introduce a new duck to my flock

Also note to keep an eye on them. I doubt he will kill her or any of them, but if you see it getting bad after several days it might be best to rehome him, especially if he’s a lot bigger. Getting more females could help too, he can’t bully 5 ducks at once haha. Ducks don’t usually try to kill each other.

I’ve had the same amount drakes to ducks before but they were free ranging and I’ve also got other animals so they weren’t just by themselves. But the hard truth is you’ve got to get rid of some of your drakes, especially your nasty one. To get rid of them you have 2 options: sell them or cull them. There is no other way except for separating your flock or getting more hens. The best option I see is get rid of your vicious one and see how you go with the rest of them.

Also note to keep an eye on them. I doubt he will kill her or any of them, but if you see it getting bad after several days it might be best to rehome him, especially if he’s a lot bigger. Getting more females could help too, he can’t bully 5 ducks at once haha.
This is not accurate as aggressive drakes can kill a duck or even another drake. They can also zone in on one and bully just the one - it can turn tragic.

This is not accurate as aggressive drakes can kill a duck or even another drake. They can also zone in on one and bully just the one - it can turn tragic.
Yes, but that is hardly every the case. I’ve raised ducks for a few years now. A couple times my male to female ratio has been off. A couple times males have been aggressive to newcomers, but after a few days he’s accepted that they are apart of the flock. Yes, they CAN kill, but not very quickly at first. That’s why you should keep an eye on them, but you do not have to separate them without at least trying for a few days first.

I am not saying ‘don’t sell your bird, that’s cruel’. But it’s better to be 100% sure, then selling him before you’re unsure. And if you’re uneasy about it, then go ahead, it isn’t cruel. But my ducks are pets, and wether or not yours are you could be attached to them and be iffy about it, and I would want to be 100% sure before selling my duck hahah.

Yes, but that is hardly every the case. I’ve raised ducks for a few years now. A couple times my male to female ratio has been off. A couple times males have been aggressive to newcomers, but after a few days he’s accepted that they are apart of the flock. Yes, they CAN kill, but not very quickly at first. That’s why you should keep an eye on them, but you do not have to separate them without at least trying for a few days first.
I wouldn't take the chance. Every flock is different. Every bird is different. It is something that could potentially happen - chickens may kill new chickens and ducks may do the same. Just because it hasn't happened in your flock doesn't mean it won't happen in another flock. Sometimes it just a certain bird that sets off aggression.
Best practice is keeping 1 drake to a minimum of 3 hens, quarantining new birds for at least 30 days, and then use a look no touch set up to integrate.

My ducks are pets as well. I even have 2 drakes that live separately from the whole flock. I've introduced new birds many times over many years.
You cannot watch your flock all of the time. If the initial intro is causing aggression, they need to be separated and integrated properly.

I wouldn't take the chance. Every flock is different. Every bird is different. It is something that could potentially happen - chickens may kill new chickens and ducks may do the same. Just because it hasn't happened in your flock doesn't mean it won't happen in another flock. Sometimes it just a certain bird that sets off aggression.
Best practice is keeping 1 drake to a minimum of 3 hens, quarantining new birds for at least 30 days, and then use a look no touch set up to integrate.
Of course every flock is different. And yes, it has happened to my flock, it just takes time and patience. I mean no disrespect and I’m not trying to argue, but sometimes that is purely unnecessary. The owner of these ducks can do whatever they want, I don’t care. I’m just giving suggestions based off what they would want to do, and what I have experienced with my ducks.

My ducks are pets as well. I even have 2 drakes that live separately from the whole flock. I've introduced new birds many times over many years.
You cannot watch your flock all of the time. If the initial intro is causing aggression, they need to be separated and integrated properly.
There’s also a thing called a pecking order. All flocks of birds establish one. If they are aggressive, just for a little bit, they’re saying “hey, this is my flock, I am the leader, you’re at the bottom because you are new.” If it keeps going for several days, yes, separate them, but again sometimes it’s unnecessary.

There’s also a thing called a pecking order. All flocks of birds establish one. If they are aggressive, just for a little bit, they’re saying “hey, this is my flock, I am the leader, you’re at the bottom because you are new.” If it keeps going for several days, yes, separate them, but again sometimes it’s unnecessary.
Of course. That is also why a look no touch works. The new ones get to see the already established flock and everyone gets used to everyone. Once they get fully integrated, they will still learn the pecking order. Ducks don't always need 2 weeks. Observation is the best tool to use with all animals.
Look I've been at this a long time. I know what works. I've done some things that aren't best practices, but when giving advice, best practices is always the best route especially with new and inexperienced bird owners.

i already put the new ducks in a new cage and put it next to the old ones cage, my top drake wanted to just come out of the cage to attack them and keep bumping into the walls towards them. he stopped after 2 of 3 days now he doesnt try that and its been 14 days i think.
however whenever i let them out together the drake still attacks them and i have to stop them

Back
Top Bottom