How to introduce ducklings to adult ducks?

DucksOhio

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Hi all-
I have 6 one yr. old ducks: 3 khaki drakes and one runner drake; 2 runner females. Clearly this is not an ideal gender combination, so I now have 4 5 week old female khakis, that I got from McMurrays and raised indoors.

My question is how to introduce the ducklings to the adult ducks.

For the past 3 days, I've been keeping them inside the duck house, within a fenced enclosure, to separate them from the adults (adult ducks only come inside at night).

I've been trying to keep an eye on them overnight via a "duckcam", and so far, the adult ducks seem fairly uninterested in the younger ones.

I am thinking that when the ducklings are 6 weeks, I can integrate them without separation. Is this wise?

Also would like to see if I can let the ducklings at 6 weeks free range the yard with the adults.

I'd appreciate the words of wisdom anyone with experience can provide--many thanks!

At 6 weeks put them all together, and keep an eye on them. If there's any aggression besides nipping to establish dominance, separate them again. I don't like letting my duckling free range till they've gotten to know the adults and will follow them back to the coop

What will possibly happen is the Drakes will try to breed the young females and might gang up on one and could kill or injure her....even adding the 4 new females, you still have way too many Drakes...One Drake would work for the 6 Hens....Your Hens are way too young for randy Drakes....

Last edited:
Ducks do not pair up like wild ducks do for a season and 5 Drakes during breeding season will and do aggressively fight and generally all like the same Hen..Injuries or death can happen...Try it, you will be disappointed once your Ducks all mature and breeding season has hormones raging..Best wishes....

I find that integrating ducks is easier compared to integrating chickens. I start by putting the ducklings in an enclosure at 3-4 weeks old outside to let the other ducks get used to them. At night, I put them in a crate inside the duck house so they all sleep together (weather permitting.)

After a few days, I let them all out. The adult ducks will sometimes correct the younger ducks if they get in their way, but I haven't had them do any damage. When I had a drake though, he intimidated the ducklings even though he didn't hurt them, but for some reason they were terrified of him. Now that I only have hens, it's super easy to integrate.

Ducks do not pair up like wild ducks do for a season and 5 Drakes during breeding season will and do aggressively fight and generally all like the same Hen..Injuries or death can happen...Try it, you will be disappointed once your Ducks all mature and breeding season has hormones raging..Best wishes....

Mine are all into breeding right now and I'm still not having much trouble yet. I ordered 4 more females to even things out and hoping things will stay as they are until these 4 mature. I talked to someone at Meltzer and they said having equal amount of male and females will be ok as long as you have 10 and under. It is also on their web page.

What works for one flock may be completely different from what works for another flock... sounds like you have a good handle on integrating already, you know to observe and watch for issues... if any happen, simply separate and wait longer...

I have multiple drakes and multiple ducks... many actually *do* pair up and go their own way... especially if you can free range them, this can work out just fine... just be prepared in case the boys get overly agressive to separate them into their own area for a while and you should be just fine...

What works for one flock may be completely different from what works for another flock... sounds like you have a good handle on integrating already, you know to observe and watch for issues... if any happen, simply separate and wait longer...

I have multiple drakes and multiple ducks... many actually *do* pair up and go their own way... especially if you can free range them, this can work out just fine... just be prepared in case the boys get overly agressive to separate them into their own area for a while and you should be just fine...

Great information .......Fantastic..

Back
Top Bottom