Sponsored Post How to: Introduce new birds to your flock

Thanks. We just successfully hatched our first two chicks and plan to add them to our existing flock. We also have some new ducklings. I will definitely keep this in mind when it's time to integrate.

I had some Isa reds introduced some younger Isa reds to some older hens they were fine after the week of them being fenced off with being able to see one another. But I just introduced six new hens of a different breed there not the same size but thought they would be big enough the Isa browns killed 2 of them and almost pecked a 3rd to death. So I plan to keep them seperate till they are the same size. Lesson learned!

This week I have been introducing 6 month old Cream Legbars to my Black Copper Maran flock. The Coop is spacious and I have brooder/run for raising chicks inside the coop. This has allowed the chicks and hens to become very familiar with each other over the past 6 months. However they are still quite egressive towards the new birds and so I have regulated their time together, trying to keep the amount of stress to a minimum. So far the BCM's have continued to lay and the CLB's are fast enough to keep out of harms way. I put them on the same roost every night and then separate them for several hours during the day. I would turn them out to free range except I have a garden they would destroy. We will keep the scheduled visits going until they seem to be getting along well.

Thank you for this! I just came to this site looking for this information. :) We have 5 Golden Comet chicks that are about 5 weeks old and we will want to put them with our year old RIRs. Today I gave the chicks some outside time in an old dog kennel and the RIR's were pretty vocal about it. Very curious.

At what age do you usually introduce new chicks into your flock? I want to make sure that the weather is warm enough for them to be outside (the are on our porch and we are in New England) but also that they are old enough to take care of themselves with the bigger hens.

Thanks!

Thank you for this! I just came to this site looking for this information. :) We have 5 Golden Comet chicks that are about 5 weeks old and we will want to put them with our year old RIRs. Today I gave the chicks some outside time in an old dog kennel and the RIR's were pretty vocal about it. Very curious.

At what age do you usually introduce new chicks into your flock? I want to make sure that the weather is warm enough for them to be outside (the are on our porch and we are in New England) but also that they are old enough to take care of themselves with the bigger hens.

Thanks!

I wait until they're 'teenagers', 3-4 months old. Let them around your adult rooster first (if you have one) and then let them have the run of the yard for a while (a day or so). And then slowly introduce a few of the older gals in with the younger ones. Do it during the day so the younger ones have room to run if they need to. You don't want to outnumber the younger ones if that is possible. If you can separate them at night that's best until they can spend some days together. If you can't, I put the lights out as soon as I coop 'em up so they can have some peace and hopefully won't get beat up over night. This system has worked for me for the past 5 years.

I have never had the opportunity to raise chickens until a couple of months ago when a friend bought me 4 little chicks from a feed store. When they had all their feathers I let them free range with his large Rhode Island reds. I am raising my chicks on his property. All was well until we built a medium sized pen with a coop attached and put them all in it. The big chickens asserted their pecking order and my little chickens had to take cover. The first night the chickens all slept in the nesting boxes but were separated. But to my delight tonight 2 of my chicks were snuggled down for the night in the middle of the pile of sleeping reds.

Thanks for the info I have rooster and he's a big boy he likes to ride the hens till he almost kills them

Too few of hens with a rooster can make that happen or when one rooster has eyes only for a few. I use HenSaver.com Saddles and they work. Plus it is a great conversation starter when my friends see me "dressing" my chickens. I tell them, "I"M NOT! They serve a purpose" and they just roll their eyes. :)

When I hear a chicken sound and not a chick sound, that's when I consider introducing the youngsters. A chick sound (any peep) means still young and submissive and easy pickings.

Back
Top Bottom