How to keep a lone chicken warm during cold winters?

stellasstar

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
Hello BYC!

I have a sick chicken that I am quarantining (she might have Merek's) but winter is approaching fast. I found her shivering pretty badly when it was only 60 degrees and in the middle of the day so I know she will not do well when it gets colder. I live in Arkansas so I am expecting chills as cold as 20 degrees.

She can not be kept with the other hens due to exposure and bullying. She will have no others to help keep her warm.

I was thinking of using a heat pad of sorts but I've read that adding a heat source can do more harm than good. Would that be the best bet in her scenario?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I love this girl and I don't want her to suffer through the winter. Keeping her inside is not currently an option as we don't have the space she would need to be fully comfortable.

Thank you so much!!

Stella

If she is in her own space can you provide her with deep bedding to keep her warm?
Thank you for your help! Yes, she is in a smaller coop so she has her own space. It is not a lot of space though, and she struggles getting up into the nesting box to roost. She has been sleeping on the ground lately which I know is not good for winter. What bedding would you recommend?

When I have ailing chickens , I give them a heating pad (one workout auto shutoff). Deep bedding will work or radiant heaters, too.
That's wonderful to hear, thank you! If you don't mind, which one do you use? There are so many to choose from online, haha.

Since she is ill she may need the added heat, if you can run an electrical cord to where she's at. A radiant heater / heat plate would probably be the best option to provide steady heat.
Thank you so much for the help! Yes, I will be able to run a power cord to her coop, if not I can move it to a better location. Do you recommend any specific heaters?

Back
Top Bottom