How to keep bugs away from cameras

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
For those of you that have motion activated cameras, in the run or outside it, how do you keep the bugs away?
Mine keep getting set off by bugs and it’s on the lowest sensitivity setting. Right now since it’s winter it’s not a big deal. But I have the camera facing down my yard so I can see what kind of predators are in my yard.
So far the bugs overwhelm my camera feed and I don’t feel like sifting through all that footage. The camera only ever catches the bunnies because the bugs fly in front. There is a hood on the camera.

I tried the repellant, off deep woods, and it didn’t seem to work. Maybe I didn’t spray it enough? I did four squirts on the hood. Outside and inside. The only lights are the infrared ones. But bugs are attracted to that too. 😑

Somewhere I've heard of a lemon juice mixture that repels spiders. Perhaps a Google search could turn up something.
Google says bug repellent too. 😅 And try a flea collar. I have yet to try the flea collar because I have yet to get out to Walmart. But I’ll check for the recipe and try again. I was just hoping I could get advice from someone not google.

Later in spring when gnats get really bad and bother the chickens, I use a natural bug repellent like BUGG or Swamp Gnat that contains lemongrass, rosemary and other natural oils. I spray the hardware cloth on the windows and it tends to keep a lot of them out of the buildings.

Back
Top Bottom