How to Keep Chickens Cool in Upcoming Heat Wave?

I'm so glad you asked this. I'm in Seattle and have been wondering what I can do to help them get through this weekend. We're forecasted to be at 108 for a couple days and my girls have never felt anything over 90 yet. They start to have issues at about 85 and I'm worried for them!

That being said, I have some electrolytes on hand and can freeze some water for them. Good luck! And try to stay cool yourself!
I’m in a similar area, by me the forecast says up to 114! The hens that I have are not super heat hardy... already even when it’s only about 85 or 90 they hold their wings out to their sides and start panting...

I’ll definitely do as others have said and freeze some water and electrolytes.

I’m quite nervous, luckily my 3 silkie chicks can stay inside (even though I’ve been working on transitioning them outside) but hopefully the 13 older hens will be ok with some Tlc.
I also bought a watermelon for them, might refrigerate or freeze part of it.

And I have a crate inside in case any of them are showing severe symptoms. (Thank you Jesus that I have ac!)

I am up in Vancouver and came looking to see if any fellow area peeps were concerned with their flock! I think I'm going to put a sprinkler on a mist under one of their shady tree areas and give them some frozen watermelon. Maybe put a big ice block in the kiddy pool they can drink from. They have already been panting the last few days in the later afternoon. Fingers crossed you can keep your flock cool, too, good luck! <3

I am up in Vancouver and came looking to see if any fellow area peeps were concerned with their flock! I think I'm going to put a sprinkler on a mist under one of their shady tree areas and give them some frozen watermelon. Maybe put a big ice block in the kiddy pool they can drink from. They have already been panting the last few days in the later afternoon. Fingers crossed you can keep your flock cool, too, good luck! <3
I'm in Vancouver too and have been prepping. I have melon in teh fridge, and I made a few ice blocks.

I'm curious about the call for electrolytes, because chickens don't sweat? We benefit from electrlytes in really hot weather because we sweat out salt etc. How does it help a chicken?

I’m in a similar area, by me the forecast says up to 114! The hens that I have are not super heat hardy... already even when it’s only about 85 or 90 they hold their wings out to their sides and start panting...

I’ll definitely do as others have said and freeze some water and electrolytes.

I’m quite nervous, luckily my 3 silkie chicks can stay inside (even though I’ve been working on transitioning them outside) but hopefully the 13 older hens will be ok with some Tlc.
I also bought a watermelon for them, might refrigerate or freeze part of it.

And I have a crate inside in case any of them are showing severe symptoms. (Thank you Jesus that I have ac!)
Unfortunately the forecast just went up to 112. My poor girls, mine aren't very heat hardy either. I'm going to send my husband to the store for some fruit I can freeze and hopefully that helps cool their insides a little. My backup plan is to move them into the garage if I need to. We do have a/c and I'm already trying to figure out how to move all 18 of my birds inside if I have to. Would love updates from everyone to see what's working and what's not.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all of the support and ideas! I have fruits and veggies in the freezer and gave them some just now. They have a canopy next to my house that provides shade all day. I don't have electrolytes, though. Can someone recommend a brand? I can go to the store today and pick it up for them.

**In case anyone is looking for shallow plastic containers for their birds to stand in (one of mine LOVES standing in shallow water), I found a great container at Target in their dollar section. It's a light color and the perfect depth. I may go grab a couple more!

Wow! Thanks everyone for all of the support and ideas! I have fruits and veggies in the freezer and gave them some just now. They have a canopy next to my house that provides shade all day. I don't have electrolytes, though. Can someone recommend a brand? I can go to the store today and pick it up for them.
Somehow missed the very first post!! I will look for those electrolytes today! Thanks, again all!

Unfortunately the forecast just went up to 112. My poor girls, mine aren't very heat hardy either. I'm going to send my husband to the store for some fruit I can freeze and hopefully that helps cool their insides a little. My backup plan is to move them into the garage if I need to. We do have a/c and I'm already trying to figure out how to move all 18 of my birds inside if I have to. Would love updates from everyone to see what's working and what's not.
Keep us posted!

I don't have electrolytes, though. Can someone recommend a brand?
I use Sav-A-Chick. (I think thats whats its called... but big uh oh. I just realized mine expired (after pulling out the chicken first aid kit and checking to make sure I had some. 😬)

I have some baby chick electrolytes I might be able to use.

Back
Top Bottom