How to Keep Chickens Cool in Upcoming Heat Wave?

Read it carefully.
My Savachick pack has the mfg date,
rather than exp date,
then in very tiny letters below taht it say use within 24 months of date.
Unfortunately it went bad in 2019. (The manufacture date was 2017)

That was right when I first got chickens, so I’m not all that surprised.
76D040A5-678B-42C2-BF45-7EF46C333D69.jpeg

But could this work? It had probiotics, which I know isn’t the same, but also has electrolytes.
F287B03E-E3B1-4503-B638-E7E07DBE75B7.jpeg

I also have nuun tablets, for humans... would anything like that work?

My Post from yesterday>>>>
Well in our 9 years the temp here it has never been this high
in the kitchen - 80 On the porch - 90
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1116.JPG

in the coop- 98 at 4:30 pm and at 6pm it was 101
IMG_1115.JPG

I have a fan going in the coop and I am keeping a close eye on the chicks
IMG_1114.JPG they are hanging in there,

IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
I gave the hens a hiney wash, that cooled them down a bit

IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG

AND this morning
5:30am and all is well - Bob Rooster in flight to the outdoor roost, 7week old brown leghorns up on the outdoor roost,
IMG_1118.JPG

Hello fellow chicken friends - I live in Portland and we are expecting a horrible heat wave this weekend. Temps are going to be over 100 for multiple days, which is not typical for this area. I am worried about my chickens who have definitely never experienced that much prolonged heat. They have shade and I will hose down the grass multiple times and refill their water as often as I can throughout the day, but should I do anything else? I don't have a/c in my home, so I can't bring them inside either. Help!
99 up here in WA and supposed to be 108 tomorrow so we canceled camping plans. We went to HD and bought 2 of these battery mister fans and just set up and placed 1 in our shaded run. Wow what a difference! Our girls are no longer panting and buzzing around happily.

Attachments

• 20210626_124047.jpg
    20210626_124047.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I use Sav-A-Chick. (I think thats whats its called... but big uh oh. I just realized mine expired
I just made my own mix with sugar, salt and baking soda, should be ok for short term use. I put some in the dog water too (our Anatolian is really toasty so we need to keep an eye on her).

Glad to see I didn't waste my effort in moving around the clutter in the run. The flock is mostly sticking to the shade cast by those items and digging into the deep litter to cool off. Later in the afternoon when the sun moves behind our big willow tree most of the run will be in shade which should help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom