How to Keep Chickens Cool in Upcoming Heat Wave?

I've got plenty of ventilation but it's still hot as an oven in the coop, so I propped open the human door as soon as we got up and it'll stay open like that until about 9 PM.

Unfortunately my coop is placed so it creates shade... which means it's taking the brunt of the sunlight, not helpful on a day like this.

Lack of natural shade is why I have a picnic fly over the coop and over the brooder.

,wrapped this West corner so from 4-9pm the sundown wont cook things -
IMG_1140.JPG

and got a BIG camping tarp for the south wall- so 2-9pm is better covered
IMG_1139.JPG

its 102 in the coop, its closed and its 98 in the run
IMG_1145.JPG

My big girls and Bob ( whom is NOT helping with the attacking my leg!)
IMG_1143.JPG

and my little girls
IMG_1142.JPG

I just went out at 3, dumped the days water and filled with cold water, then I , from the run gate, sprayed the tree trunk which made splash/mist- sprayed the far east side, I didnt get where the big hens were standing wet I didnt want them to run and over exert themselves- it is 98 in the run, the chicks liked the coolness from the water when I was done and they are not panting.

I'll go out at 4 and do it again

Later I'll go online to Lowes and look for garden shade cloth

Can you pick up one of these?

0627211801_HDR.jpg

When it hit it 104 this afternoon we pulled the ladies inside. Lucky we got a piece of furniture earlier this week and we hadn't broken down the cardboard, so that is going to have to due as their home for the next day. The we are sitting at 108, may get to 109.

Attachments

• IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4727.jpg
    IMG_4727.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 7
When it hit it 104 this afternoon we pulled the ladies inside. Lucky we got a piece of furniture earlier this week and we hadn't broken down the cardboard, so that is going to have to due as their home for the next day. The we are sitting at 108, may get to 109.
That is so great you had that!

I wonder why you cannot just mist the chickens and keep the fan on them. Same principal as an evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler). Evaporative cooling can drop the air temperature 10F to 30F degrees depending on humidity..

I wonder why you cannot just mist the chickens and keep the fan on them. Same principal as an evaporative cooler (aka swamp cooler). Evaporative cooling can drop the air temperature 10F to 30F degrees depending on humidity..
Because chickens don't have much skin exposed like we do.
And the ambient humidity can greatly foil this approach.

Back
Top Bottom