How to Keep Chickens Cool in Upcoming Heat Wave?

Pics

PDXchickenmom

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Hello fellow chicken friends - I live in Portland and we are expecting a horrible heat wave this weekend. Temps are going to be over 100 for multiple days, which is not typical for this area. I am worried about my chickens who have definitely never experienced that much prolonged heat. They have shade and I will hose down the grass multiple times and refill their water as often as I can throughout the day, but should I do anything else? I don't have a/c in my home, so I can't bring them inside either. Help!

Hello fellow chicken friends - I live in Portland and we are expecting a horrible heat wave this weekend. Temps are going to be over 100 for multiple days, which is not typical for this area. I am worried about my chickens who have definitely never experienced that much prolonged heat. They have shade and I will hose down the grass multiple times and refill their water as often as I can throughout the day, but should I do anything else? I don't have a/c in my home, so I can't bring them inside either. Help!
Get some large containers to freeze water in. Pop out the ice chunks and leave them in a shallow pan to slowly thaw.
Give them an electrolyte mash made from their food the first and third mornings of the heat wave.
Saturate the ground in a shady spot and aim a floor fan across it.
Freeze some sliced grapes and feed them during the hottest part of the day.

Everything Aart said, as reinforced by 3KillerBees. and for my part, I'm going to echo 3KB regarding the need for shaded spaces where the chickens can dig into the ground, even a few inches (world's largest heat sink) and bed down to help manage heat. Even an inch or two down in the soil makes a huge difference, particularly where its not suffering solar gain at the same time.

Portland hits a low of 56 tonight. Friday's projection is 95/70 (roughly), Sat 105/75, Sun 110/75, Mon 110/65. Then the rest of the week is basically 95/65. Your ground temperature is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 degrees, a few inches down. When your birds get into that nice cool earth, and spread their body into contact with it, it will help tremendously.

Still want cool water and electrolyte support, as Aart said.

Everything Aart said, as reinforced by 3KillerBees. and for my part, I'm going to echo 3KB regarding the need for shaded spaces where the chickens can dig into the ground, even a few inches (world's largest heat sink) and bed down to help manage heat. Even an inch or two down in the soil makes a huge difference, particularly where its not suffering solar gain at the same time.

Portland hits a low of 56 tonight. Friday's projection is 95/70 (roughly), Sat 105/75, Sun 110/75, Mon 110/65. Then the rest of the week is basically 95/65. Your ground temperature is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 degrees, a few inches down. When your birds get into that nice cool earth, and spread their body into contact with it, it will help tremendously.

Still want cool water and electrolyte support, as Aart said.

I've noticed that on hot afternoons my chickens will dig pits deep enough to have their backs level with the surface of the ground in search of that cooler earth.

I've noticed that on hot afternoons my chickens will dig pits deep enough to have their backs level with the surface of the ground in search of that cooler earth.
Mine too - and they put their backs up against the concrete foundation of my barn on the shaded side. I have shallow foundations, their digging has actually been a source of some concern... Somewhere, I have a picture of like 12 or 15 of them lined up, each in their respective pit, all backed up against it. Maybe on FB - it didn't photo well, due to the shade.

I'm so glad you asked this. I'm in Seattle and have been wondering what I can do to help them get through this weekend. We're forecasted to be at 108 for a couple days and my girls have never felt anything over 90 yet. They start to have issues at about 85 and I'm worried for them!

That being said, I have some electrolytes on hand and can freeze some water for them. Good luck! And try to stay cool yourself!

Back
Top Bottom