how to keep chickens entertained

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frizzleman74, May 23, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i am a student, and i have 13 chickens and a nice run so im at school for the majority of the day. What can i do to entertain my chickens while i am gone and they cant free range. ANy ideas, thanks!

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I've heard of people hanging a head of cabbage. I'm always afraid my idiot chickens would get hung so I haven't tried it.

3. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    My chickens love it when I give them leftovers, especially spaghetti! They love anything that looks like a worm LOL

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    In the winter I "hid" treats all over for them, including in holes in a log I have in their run. Also the cabbage and spreading scraps around.

5. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Quote:What a cute idea!

6. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    should i build a lot of roosts almost like another floor of the run with roosts or would that just be a waste of time and effort

7. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    I have a roost built into each corner of my pen. I have extended my pen twice so there are a bunch of corners and angles. I just took a 2x4 and screwed into onto the middle brace which makes like a triangle. I also have three different feeders that get moved around. Two of them are just round ground feeders that I put low plastic patio tables over to keep the rain off. They love to get up on the tables and the roosts. They also have one regular waterer and a low ground feeder with water. This gives them some options and they never run out. I also made a "box" (frame) out of leftover 2x6's that I filled with nice sand for a dusting box. They always get our leftovers from the night before spread around. Each of my boys take turns throwing them a couple cups of scratch when they get home from school. They also enjoy watching people and animals come in the yard.

I think my chickens are spoiled. When I get home from work I go straight out to the coop and they get so excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by