1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

how to keep chickens entertained

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frizzleman74, May 23, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chirping

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i am a student, and i have 13 chickens and a nice run so im at school for the majority of the day. What can i do to entertain my chickens while i am gone and they cant free range. ANy ideas, thanks!

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I've heard of people hanging a head of cabbage. I'm always afraid my idiot chickens would get hung so I haven't tried it.

3. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Songster

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    My chickens love it when I give them leftovers, especially spaghetti! They love anything that looks like a worm LOL

4. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    In the winter I "hid" treats all over for them, including in holes in a log I have in their run. Also the cabbage and spreading scraps around.

5. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Songster

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Quote:What a cute idea!

6. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chirping

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    should i build a lot of roosts almost like another floor of the run with roosts or would that just be a waste of time and effort

7. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    I have a roost built into each corner of my pen. I have extended my pen twice so there are a bunch of corners and angles. I just took a 2x4 and screwed into onto the middle brace which makes like a triangle. I also have three different feeders that get moved around. Two of them are just round ground feeders that I put low plastic patio tables over to keep the rain off. They love to get up on the tables and the roosts. They also have one regular waterer and a low ground feeder with water. This gives them some options and they never run out. I also made a "box" (frame) out of leftover 2x6's that I filled with nice sand for a dusting box. They always get our leftovers from the night before spread around. Each of my boys take turns throwing them a couple cups of scratch when they get home from school. They also enjoy watching people and animals come in the yard.

I think my chickens are spoiled. When I get home from work I go straight out to the coop and they get so excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by