How to keep chicks cool in hot weather

Emilykb15

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Hey y’all, me AGAIN!

I feel like things keep changing so new questions come up.

I am curious how to regulate chick temps on a hot day. We keep having these random 1-2 days where it is 80+ then the rest of the time it’s rainy and cold. How do y’all regulate their temp with a heat lamp and everything when it is hot outside?

My brooder is in my outdoor shed and I recently raised the heat lamp. I also opened he window in the shed to allow for a breeze but it’s still pretty warm. I’m wondering how to manage thing because I don’t know how to cool it off for them.

How old are the chicks. That matters. The older a chick gets, the easier it is for them to self regulate temperature.
Basically, I don't try to heat all the space in a brooder to the same elevated temperature. I provide a warm spot so they can find comfort if they feel chilled but like a broody hen does, I provide plenty of cool space.

They are about 2 weeks old. I think the issue is the shed is already warmer inside on the hot days and with their heat lamp (even in one spot) it is causing the inside to be even hotter. One of them appeared to be panting (breathing with an open mouth). I just don’t want to over heat them.

They are about 2 weeks old. I think the issue is the shed is already warmer inside on the hot days and with their heat lamp (even in one spot) it is causing the inside to be even hotter. One of them appeared to be panting (breathing with an open mouth). I just don’t want to over heat them.
Are they moving far away from the heat lamp? If they are panting they may just need more places to move to get cooler. Can you give them a bigger area to live in so they can get far away from the heat lamp if they need to? Raise the heat lamp up? Perhaps when it is 80 degrees you can get a small heat lamp wattage bulb- say if you are using a 250 go to a 150? Make sure no one is bullying the water jug - if one is panting it may need water.

You may have to look around and ask your self if there is something ( A Playpen- an old crib- a bigger cardboard box-) or in my case I finally just put mine in a corner with some cardboard on the floor and took several things to build "walls" so they had a larger area, - I used an old screen door, a large cork board that no one was using - and a few other things and since it was a corner that took care of those sides. - It was not perfect but it gave me a bit more confidence that they would have room to get under the heat lamp or get away. You are SUCH a studious caring mom!! Kudos to you for caring and trying to make sure they live and are comfortable!

Back
Top Bottom