How to keep chicks from sleeping in the nesting boxes

Congrats Chicken Momma! I have a similar problem except that my chicks (10 wks) old like to hang in the nest boxes during the day. How do I stop this without being out there all day to chase them out?

Congrats Chicken Momma! I have a similar problem except that my chicks (10 wks) old like to hang in the nest boxes during the day. How do I stop this without being out there all day to chase them out?
Are there older birds in your flock that need nests for laying?

I recently had this problem. Close off the boxes before they go to bed. Once its dark go out there and see if they're roosting. If not then put them on the roost and remove the covering to the boxes. Repeat every night until they get on to the roost themselves. It only took me 2 nights. Last night I didnt cover the boxes and when I checked on them after dark the babies were on the roost with the big girls.

I recently had this problem. Close off the boxes before they go to bed. Once its dark go out there and see if they're roosting. If not then put them on the roost and remove the covering to the boxes. Repeat every night until they get on to the roost themselves. It only took me 2 nights. Last night I didnt cover the boxes and when I checked on them after dark the babies were on the roost with the big girls.
They use the roosts at night, it is during the day that they decide the nests are a nice place to hang out for a nap. Today it was late morning I chased them out. Yesterday it was mid-afternoon. They have a large enough coop (7.5ftx9ft for 10 chicks and 3 hens), plenty of other roosting spots that are high and an outdoor run. 😠 Chicks are 10wks old.

They use the roosts at night, it is during the day that they decide the nests are a nice place to hang out for a nap. Today it was late morning I chased them out. Yesterday it was mid-afternoon. They have a large enough coop (7.5ftx9ft for 10 chicks and 3 hens), plenty of other roosting spots that are high and an outdoor run. 😠 Chicks are 10wks old.
Oh gosh, I didnt even realize this was on my post 🤦‍♀️
I'm not sure how to keep them out during the day. My bigger girls do that. They lay throughout the day and dont like being watched 😂.

Don't the older birds scare them out of the nests?
What does the run look like......places to 'hide'?

Don't the older birds scare them out of the nests?
What does the run look like......places to 'hide'?
They don't seem to be chased out of the nests, however, they do use the two boxes that the big girls don't use. I am afraid that if I block off those nests, they will move to the other nests. There are hiding places in the run.

Back
Top Bottom