How to keep chicks w/mama from eating layer feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Camille13, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Camille13

Camille13 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I have a mama hen who has 4 babies she is raising. They have integrated into the flock beautifully, not any problems. I did this only three days ago. I have their grower feed in a small feeder on the ground, next to their small waterer, but today I realized they were flapping up to the layer feed (which is about 10 in. off the ground) and eating it too. I am worried about making them sick. They are only 3 weeks old. So, I corralled off an area in the run today to keep mama and babies in, but I thought the whole point of letting them all be happy together was to get them integrated. Does anyone have any advice on keeping baby chicks from eating laying ration instead of grower when all mixed in with the older flock??? Thanks so much.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You could try giving everyone grower feed, plus offer additional calcium in the form of oyster shell for the laying hens. That's what I'm doing, mostly because I only have three adult hens with only one of them starting to lay again after brooding, and a 50 lb. bag of feed would go stale before she could eat it up.

3. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Put it up high! I have two feeders in the coop when there are chicks. One is at chick height, and contains starter/grower. The adult hens eat this too, but that's OK.

The other is a hanging feeder, with the food at hen height. This has layer feed, and the chicks can't reach it. I also keep a bowl of oyster shell at hen height so they can supplement if needed.

4. Camille13

Camille13 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Humm. I have the layer feed at hen height, but the little babies jump and fly up to it. How high off the ground can you put feed for full grown hens? These baby chicks jump and flap up pretty well already. If I were to feed them all grower, and supplement with oyster shells, then that is the equivalent of layer feed? Thanks!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    There's a feed called flock raiser that is for chickens of any age.....you could just use that--Purina makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by