How to keep chicks w/mama from eating layer feed?

Camille13

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
I have a mama hen who has 4 babies she is raising. They have integrated into the flock beautifully, not any problems. I did this only three days ago. I have their grower feed in a small feeder on the ground, next to their small waterer, but today I realized they were flapping up to the layer feed (which is about 10 in. off the ground) and eating it too. I am worried about making them sick. They are only 3 weeks old. So, I corralled off an area in the run today to keep mama and babies in, but I thought the whole point of letting them all be happy together was to get them integrated. Does anyone have any advice on keeping baby chicks from eating laying ration instead of grower when all mixed in with the older flock??? Thanks so much.

You could try giving everyone grower feed, plus offer additional calcium in the form of oyster shell for the laying hens. That's what I'm doing, mostly because I only have three adult hens with only one of them starting to lay again after brooding, and a 50 lb. bag of feed would go stale before she could eat it up.

Put it up high! I have two feeders in the coop when there are chicks. One is at chick height, and contains starter/grower. The adult hens eat this too, but that's OK.

The other is a hanging feeder, with the food at hen height. This has layer feed, and the chicks can't reach it. I also keep a bowl of oyster shell at hen height so they can supplement if needed.

Humm. I have the layer feed at hen height, but the little babies jump and fly up to it. How high off the ground can you put feed for full grown hens? These baby chicks jump and flap up pretty well already. If I were to feed them all grower, and supplement with oyster shells, then that is the equivalent of layer feed? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom