How to keep crows & blue jays away?

Bellurd

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Woodland Hills, Ca
I have 6 EE hens who free range in the back yard all day. When I first got them a few months ago, I really appreciated the crows in my neighborhood because they kept the hawks away. But I've began noticing that the crows are now scaring my chickens away from their food and water sources and eating it all. And when I feed the chickens snacks I have to stand out there like a living scarecrow until they're done eating. There's also two blue jays who drive them crazy. They're not even afraid of me like the crows are. One blue jay lands on the grass to distract the chickens (they love chasing small birds) as the other one grabs the food that they've abandoned. Then they take turns. It's frustrating to watch. Poor chickens. :(

Would adding a rooster to my flock help keep them away at all? Or maybe a fake owl?
BB gun?
Thank you!

Last edited:
A roo would help.I cut out the food and bang a pan to scare the crows away. They no longer come to my yard,but alas the squirrels do.If needed a pellet gun with scope would take care of the issue quickly.Hopefully other methods will work before you need to resort to lethal options.I would get rid of them if nothing else worked

You might want to get a cat if you don't have one? I have, ok too many here, but they hang with the chickens all day long out in the yard. No bird, not even hawks, in their right minds land in my yard! I feed my free range birds inside the run in the evening when they come in. No food outside, no attraction for the crows and jays. Try feeding them in their run prior to letting them out for the day, and then again when they come in at night. They should have enough stuff to munch on all day long in the grass. Do it for a couple of weeks, and see if the crows and jays just don't move on..

BB gun (or any other type) would be illegal anyway.

"Migratory bird act"

(July 3, 1918, c. 128, § 6, 40 Stat. 756; June 20, 1936, c. 634, § 2, 49 Stat. 1556; Sept. 8, 1960, Pub.L. 86-732, 74 Stat. 866; Pub.L. 99-645, Title V, § 501, Nov. 10, 1986, 100 Stat. 3590; Pub.L. 105-312, Title I, § 103, Oct. 30, 1998, 112 Stat. 2956.)

yes even on your property, even if they are harming pets or livestock.

(and the blue jays here harass cats and run them off by diving on there heads)

Of course there's a chance you won't get caught, but hten again the fines are huge and come with federal jail time.

Last edited:
I have a big tom cat named Spencer that rules the block but he never comes into my backyard since we have a dog. The dog is rarely outside and couldn't care less about cats but Spencer is still very cautious. I could try to feed them in their run but we get a lot of ants here. I've already had to move their tractor a few times because the ants started swarming in their roosting area. :( I'm just going to keep scaring them away and hope they don't bug my little girls too much when I'm not here.

Thank you guys! I really appreciate the advice <3

Sounds like you must be leaving the chicken feeder outside the coop in your yard? Keep the chicken feed in the coop, out of sight of wild birds. The chickens can return to the coop when they want a snack.

Last edited:
the blue jays you might just have to give then some sunflower seeds in another spot on your property. but the crows are another thing . i am not sure on your laws in your state but in michigan crows are legal to shoot . but i would get a good roster first.

the blue jays you might just have to give then some sunflower seeds in another spot on your property. but the crows are another thing . i am not sure on your laws in your state but in michigan crows are legal to shoot . but i would get a good roster first.

Sorry this is a federal law, so that is untrue.

, Corvus corax

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom