How to keep duck water unfrozen in extreme climates?

talkhorsesducks

Songster
Apr 13, 2022
Hey, I’m from northern Canada. It gets really frickin cold up here.
I’ve had ducks for years. I have an insulated coop and an Un-insulated coop. They thrive in either or. In their run I put straw down over the snow. I’ve never had a case of frost bite. They get a bath 3 times a week in lukewarm water. They love the snow. And thrive in this climate. Chickens do not like it here tho lol

The issue is waterers. The coldest it gets here is -50°C (-58°F) usually in January. The average temp from November to march is -15°C to - 20°C (5°F to -4°F) during the day. In the night it usually will drop to -30°C to -40°C (-22°F to -40°F). Heated metal bases only heat until -12°C (10°F) which is useless to me. And heated plastic ones freeze at even warmer temps. I have destroyed many many waterers over the years.

Before people come at me, yes I’ve tried the rubber tub method, where you fill a tub and crack the ice on it once and a while. The tubs make a huge mess and they crack in extreme cold. I have to purchase a new tub every 1-2 weeks in the winter because they crack. This isn’t ideal.

I have big animals and a traditional round ended metal trough they have a trough heater designed for our extreme climate. It only forms a thin crust when it gets really really cold. Are there any options like this for ducks?

Thank you!!

When you say heated plastic ones are you talking about heated buckets? I use them and they work great but we can get 0 it's not that normal. Usually temps in single on up they still work.

Have you been on the Canada forum to ask there what others use?

@Canadian Wind any ideas?

Honestly, I take water out to them several times a day. >.> Fill a couple of 5 gallon buckets and trudge through the snow. A,d I use dollar store bins for their water. I go through several throughout the winter, but at least they're cheap.

It doesn't get near as cold here as where you are, but we still have days/nights around -40 Celsius in January/February.

I hate winter. >.<

When you say heated plastic ones are you talking about heated buckets? I use them and they work great but we can get 0 it's not that normal. Usually temps in single on up they still work.

Have you been on the Canada forum to ask there what others use?

@Canadian Wind any ideas?
I’m referring to buckets and an actual heated poultry waterer! I haven’t been on the Canadian forum but I’ll check it out! Thank you!

Honestly, I take water out to them several times a day. >.> Fill a couple of 5 gallon buckets and trudge through the snow. A,d I use dollar store bins for their water. I go through several throughout the winter, but at least they're cheap.

It doesn't get near as cold here as where you are, but we still have days/nights around -40 Celsius in January/February.

I hate winter. >.<
I hate winter too haha. It’s incredible to see how hardy the animals are though. Thank you for sharing!!

I use these and love them, but the coldest my thermometer has read here is -29. They are rated down to -35 which is the lowest I have found so far. I like the rubber too because I don't have issues with cracking in the cold like I had with the plastic ones.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/heated-rubber-flat-back-bucket/E002891 012/?srccode=GPSLT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInJ7rwIjA-gIV3PHjBx3NZwQzEAQYASABEgLpGfD_BwE
Ooo That one looks interesting!! Thank you so much for sharing I appreciate it.

Ooo That one looks interesting!! Thank you so much for sharing I appreciate it.
In your climate, I would take it up a notch. Place the heated bucket inside a junk bucket. Drill a hole to run the cord through. You've created some trapped air that will help keep the water warm. You can also wrap the junk bucket with a non flammable insulation for better protection. Now take a piece of plastic. Cut it to cover the bucket. A lid for a 5 gal bucket might work. Cut a hole in the middle just big enough for them to get their head in. Screw the plastic cover to the bucket.
I did a similar design for horses where I had no power and 95% of the time it worked like a charm. Or move south.

That heated bucket is what I am talking about they are heavy not cheaply made I have a 5 gallon I’ve had for probably 5-6 years still works great.
Hmmm I’ll have to take a look online and see what they have for heated buckets in extreme temps. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom