GoldpartridgeHen

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2018
England
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I have 1 egg box with two compartments, each one abt 40cm x 40cm, attached to the house.
i have problem with the rain soaking through the lid; so i put a plastic sheet over it, but the rain still soaks through and is making the egg box sides damp.
obviously, this will rot the wood if it made wet too often

any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

Attachments

• egg box on house.PNG
    egg box on house.PNG
    646.3 KB · Views: 128
First off I'd make a slanted roof with 3 sides overhanging. That means you need to add a bit of wood to fit on the sides so there is no opening. Flat roofs pool water and collect snow and ice making it not only difficult to lift but could possibly collapse under the snow load.
Second I'd find out how others who've used nest boxes hanging on the outside sealed the hinged area. My nest boxes are indoors specifically because I don't want to have experience with that.

First off I'd make a slanted roof with 3 sides overhanging. That means you need to add a bit of wood to fit on the sides so there is no opening. Flat roofs pool water and collect snow and ice making it not only difficult to lift but could possibly collapse under the snow load.
Second I'd find out how others who've used nest boxes hanging on the outside sealed the hinged area. My nest boxes are indoors specifically because I don't want to have experience with that.

+1

Another option with nest boxes on the outside, is to have the slanted top fixed in place (sealed tight to ensure it is waterproof) and then open the backside of the nest boxes to collect the eggs.

X2 to the above.

I have a fixed lid and actually no openings outside. I have a walk in coop so go in to collect eggs.

I have seen where people use old bike innertubes to cover the hinged area.....no idea if it fully prevents water. Those have had a sloped roof too.

Maybe a tube secured above the hinged edge with a piece of wood that is caulked very well. :confused:

Where it hinges you can tack a thick rubber mat so it protects the seam but you can still open the door or you can install an awning that overhangs the entire egg compartment. :)
Yes! Awning above coming off the coop roof! Kudos! Make it wider than the nest roof and maybe 1/4 or 1/2 as far outward. I would still slant the nest roof.

Another option with nest boxes on the outside, is to have the slanted top fixed in place (sealed tight to ensure it is waterproof) and then open the backside of the nest boxes to collect the eggs.
This^^^ is especially appropriate due to the nest coming thru the run mesh.
Make sure the nest access door has raccoon proof latches/locks,
and that the run mesh is firmly attached to the coop and/or nest...
... and that the run mesh itself is predator proof(not chicken wire).

ETA: I assume this is already built?
"i have problem with the rain soaking through the lid"
A pic of the real thing would be most helpful.

egg-box-on-house-png.1969117

Back
Top Bottom