How to keep eggs fresh until hen is ready to sit

fletch21

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2015
I am new to owning chickens and I was told a hen will not sit on her eggs until she has at least six eggs. I was told to take out the eggs carefully wash them, put them in a carton, and set them on top the fridge because this will keep them cool and fresh until she is ready. Then put nest like materials in a box and set her in there and she should sit. I have no idea if this process is correct. I'd really appreciate advice.

A hen cannot count, so she might not sit until there are 30 eggs or she will sit on nothing at all. Going broody isn't about her seeing eggs in the nest, it is entirely dictated by hormones. You can't make a hen go broody, it only happens if she is hormonally triggered to do so. It is also a breed thing - in some breeds like leghorns broodiness has been almost completely bred out whereas others like silkies are extremely likely to brood. If you're trying to save eggs for her, don't wash them. This takes the bloom off and can allow bacteria into the egg, causing embryo death. Storing them in an egg carton is okay. The best conditions for egg storage for hatching are at 59 degrees Fahrenheit and turned once a day. However, after ten days fertility starts to decrease and the chances of the egg hatching is reduced. If you just want a hen to sit on them though leaving them in the nest is fine. Just mark what date they were laid on them and once you get the amount you want her to sit on just take out the oldest ones as new ones are laid.

Last edited:
A hen cannot count, so she might not sit until there are 30 eggs or she will sit on nothing at all. Going broody isn't about her seeing eggs in the nest, it is entirely dictated by hormones. You can't make a hen go broody, it only happens if she is hormonally triggered to do so. It is also a breed thing - in some breeds like leghorns broodiness has been almost completely bred out whereas others like silkies are extremely likely to brood. If you're trying to save eggs for her, don't wash them. This takes the bloom off and can allow bacteria into the egg, causing embryo death. Storing them in an egg carton is okay. The best conditions for egg storage for hatching are at 59 degrees Fahrenheit and turned once a day. However, after ten days fertility starts to decrease and the chances of the egg hatching is reduced. If you just want a hen to sit on them though leaving them in the nest is fine. Just mark what date they were laid on them and once you get the amount you want her to sit on just take out the oldest ones as new ones are laid.
How do you tell when a hen has gone "broody"

She will sit in the nest all day and night, only getting up briefly once or twice a day to quickly eat, drink, poop, dust bathe etc but then she will be right back on the nest. She will also likely puff up and growl at you if you approach her nest, and might peck or bite you if you try to reach under her to take the eggs.

She will sit in the nest all day and night, only getting up briefly once or twice a day to quickly eat, drink, poop, dust bathe etc but then she will be right back on the nest. She will also likely puff up and growl at you if you approach her nest, and might peck or bite you if you try to reach under her to take the eggs.
so if I am trying to hatch eggs it is best to make a nest and leave all eggs in with her?

so if I am trying to hatch eggs it is best to make a nest and leave all eggs in with her?

What breed are your hens? Depending on the breed the best way might be to get an incubator, lol :p But yes, you can leave the eggs in as long as you are marking them and removing the old ones. A nest with eggs in it is more appealing to a bird that is going broody than an empty nest, but it won't trigger a hen to brood.

Last edited:
What breed are your hens? Depending on the breed the best way might be to get an incubator, lol :p But yes, you can leave the eggs in as long as you are marking them and removing the old ones. A nest with eggs in it is more appealing to a bird that is going broody than an empty nest.
lol, not looking to get an incubator. I have australorp hens and leghorn hens.

The Australorps might go broody, but it's not very likely if they are from hatchery stock. The Leghorns probably won't ever brood.
I bought my australorp hen from a sale, she came with 9 chicks, I have just recently separated them and put her with a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom