How to keep feed dry in the rain

SportChick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Louisiana
I have only just moved my chicks into their chicken run during the daytime. The coop isn't finished so they still go back to their brooder at night. I brought in the feed last night to avoid rats etc but it rained and the little bowls of grit and oyster shell were full of water. If it rains during the day, I am at work and can't go cover up the feed. How do you keep it dry?? I can put it under the coop I guess but because of the coop design (hardware cloth floor) that area will be pretty covered in poo. Do they need a front porch???

Rain won't hurt the grit(rock) or oyster shell. You can just drain the water off. Maybe be careful so they don't get nasty.
Or you can put them in the coop.
Or arrange to cover them.

Imp

I moved the feeder out into the run the ther day. I put a piece of plywood on top of the run to cover the feeder area. Are your chicks old enough to need oyster shell?

@Tom, probably not. Someone gave me left over oyster shell and said they would like it. So far they don't seem to care about it one way or the other. What is the age for oyster shell? I am assuming not until they lay eggs.

I cut the bottom off of a 5 gallon plastic bucket about 4 inches up from the bottom. Then I drilled some holes through to allow drainage and put my crushed oyster shell in it.

Back
Top Bottom