How to Keep Hawks Away?

I have had four adorable and amazing chickens for almost 3 years now. I have never had any predator problems because we are in city limits so the amount of predators are minimal. My girls have always free-ranged in our backyard with no problems. The last few days for the first time, we are having a hawk (I think a red-tailed) visit and try to snatch one of them away. I was able to scare him off the first time, but the second time he was able to do some damage to Rhoda my RIR. Her injuries weren't too serious several feathers were pulled out and she had a few scrapes. I was able to wash out the cuts and am helping them heal. I was wondering how you guys keep your girls safe from hawks. Right now, they are cooped up in a shed that we turned into a chicken coop. It is small and doesn't get much light so it isn't ideal. I don't want to let them out in fear of the hawk coming again. Any tips are greatly appreciated!
I too would like to knowWe have had on chicken killed by a hawk and a second attack that wasn't too bad. I have been told that there is no way to stop this sort of attack but sitting on the back porch with a gun (you have to be a good shot) . SoI really would like to know TOO ?

I use a combination of thing to keep hawks away from my free ranging flocks. I have a rooster who does a really good job guarding and fortunately a few favorite hiding spots the birds stay close to. I also have solar lights globes hanging along the back of my house where the flock spends most of their time. They are made of white mosaic glass that reflect the sun with flashes of light -- just like hanging CDs or more decorative -- and give a soft blue/white glow at night. I've been to the back of my property, which is an 1.5 acres away from the globes and can see the flashes of light from that far away. This has been very helpful.

In addition, I keep crows around by feeding them food scraps every morning. They don't like hawks so they'll chase them away or make a huge rukus that alerts the flock and sends them scurrying. So far (knock on wood), I've not lost a bird to a hawk.

Realize this everyone. These raptors CAN NOT SEE your wire roof. They look right through it. They have amazing eyesight, but it's like looking at a fence from 30 feet away with binoculars. It becomes invisible. Place something more substantial on the roof to make it more visible. This keeps the raptors from even trying to hit the roof. And in all morality, we are NOT in the business of hurting raptors. That said, free range birds are food for raptors.

I happen to know first hand that this is how we trap raptors for falconry. We exploit this weakness. I am sorry to say that your observations and subsequent conclusions are not accurate.
View attachment 1688286 View attachment 1688287
Well, whatever. It keeps my chickens safe and that's my priority. The original question was how to protect a flock without locking them up 24/7 and this works.

I have not lost birds to Hawks but have several shrubs and a huge apple tree in there yard key is give them places to hide
Yes I have all kinds of bushs shrubs etc. The problem is that the hawk came out of the sky on top of the barred rock , she never had a chance . Some one mentioned tieing ropes on trees and stretching them accross the yard to another tree one going horz/one vert. Hanging dangling plastic pieces off the ropes. I would need 2 miles of rope to do this my trees aren't very close in the area where she was attacked.

My husband and I have come up with this idea, not sure it will work . Has anyone tried this? We are going to get some posts 8' long attach umbrellas to them at the top, then lay deer netting between the umbrellas. this could protect a large area from sky attack. the umbrellas are there to diswade the hawk from coming down, if he/her does decide to come anyway he'll get caught in the netting. Does this sound fisable?

What do you think might happen when you get an updraft under an umbrella?

My husband and I have come up with this idea, not sure it will work . Has anyone tried this? We are going to get some posts 8' long attach umbrellas to them at the top, then lay deer netting between the umbrellas. this could protect a large area from sky attack. the umbrellas are there to diswade the hawk from coming down, if he/her does decide to come anyway he'll get caught in the netting. Does this sound fisable?

Have a plan for what to do if/when the hawk gets caught in the netting... it’s daunting dealing with an entangled bird with real talons and a sharp beak, same goes for the fishing line and cd’s idea.
Once caught in this sort of situation though the bird, if released, will usually avoid your yard in the future.

As for umbrellas... I’m recalling trying to get the broken and stuck in the open position patio umbrellas into our receiving bay at work in a windstorm. Nearly, “Mary-Poppins”’d one of our smaller employees and myself. So be cautious... they fly well!

Back
Top Bottom