How to keep nesting box cool?

flyingjen

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 10, 2014
Wheat Ridge, CO
HELP! I've lost two ladies in 8 days. I found both of them in the nesting box. I think it is from the heat...both days it was in the 90's. I have a small fan in there and they have fresh water. It's a small space so I can't put in a bigger fan. I've since opened the lid a little to help with a cross breeze. They can free range during the day so they hang out under a large bush in the shade. I just don't know what else to do. I'm getting a little scared to open the nesting box and I make frequent trips to the run to count them. Thanks.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can to keep them cool. I saw an idea on pinterest where somebody made ice cubes with corn kernels frozen in them. Sort of a frozen treat. Is the coop small enough to possibly move it to a shadier area during the extreme heat?

I use these over my car when I take my dogs to outdoor competition events. They help keep the car substantially cooler. We had a similar product for the ends if our pop up camper.

Could you rig something up to make shade on the nest boxes? Or stick one of those blue freezer packs in each nest box?

All these suggestions are great! Did you have a chance to see how they were acting at all? Severe panting? Wings held away? Are they brooders or just dropping in to lay an egg? Are they crowded? Fan is good, but ventilation is equally important (cross breeze). Normal Chicken temp is 104-107. Blowing that air around with a fan won't help much. Shade. Deep shade for the coop and air exchange. 90 outside can be 120 in a non ventilated coop in the sun. Fresh H2O is good, can you put a frozen H2O bottle in the waterer for fresh cool H20? There are many threads on battling heat that have useful tips for every climate. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your suggestions. They mainly just go in the box to lay eggs and then at night. They free range during the day. A friend suggested drilling holes in the side for some cross breeze. Right now we just have the nesting box lid propped open. Unfortunately both times I was not at home and found them later in the afternoon. It is a small enough coop to move it but we are building a new coop this month and that one won't be small enough to move.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your suggestions. They mainly just go in the box to lay eggs and then at night. They free range during the day. A friend suggested drilling holes in the side for some cross breeze. Right now we just have the nesting box lid propped open. Unfortunately both times I was not at home and found them later in the afternoon. It is a small enough coop to move it but we are building a new coop this month and that one won't be small enough to move.
Drilling holes: I did that when I built my nest boxes. It can be over 100 here for weeks at a time, 109 last Sun. We have no humidity, so misters work well too.

One concept I have considered for keeping boxes cool is a wire mesh floor. Shavings would eventually fall through and need to be replaced but the mesh would allow air flow. For the cool season a cut-to-fit board could be inserted to block the draft.

Back
Top Bottom