How to keep out a Great Pyryneese? and boxer, already destroyed most of the flock. Iowa Legalities?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by annwilson, Mar 23, 2012.

1. annwilson

annwilson New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    I know, I am probably the zillionth poster. I came home to an aggressive and huge great pyryneese and boxer bulldog type dog murdering my chickens. I have 4 kids ages 2.25 to 6.75 years old. These were their pets. Our 5 year old dog has never, ever went after anything, we never worry about her being left alone with a sick one, have left her in the coop with them if we have to leave for a day if she wishes etc. My husband and I went to the back yard and tried to shoo them away. We got snapped at, growled at etc. My husband ended up holding off the boxer bulldog mix with a 2x4 and no we never hurt them. The large one attacked our dog, shes got hip dysplasia severely, on meds, been limping all night, no blood though. I should have shot them but my kids were watching. We managed to save 3 and one more that is tore up pretty bad. called animal control. they got there 40 min later. they couldnt get the big one for awhile and had us call the police but finally got him. They asked me where they came from and I couldnt remember ever seeing them, one person had similar dogs so I took them to his house to see if they were his, they werent. My kids were devastated, when I asked them, they all said no. My 4 year old hours later asked if they were going to be home tomorrow, I said no I dont think so why? He said he didn't want to play outside if they were because they might kill him. Then of course the 5 year old peeped up and said they just moved in behind us. The yards are huge here, its 175 ft to the neighbors yard line and he has sheds blocking most of it so I had not been aware. So now my kids dont want to be outside anymore, I have 3 healthy 5 wk old chicks and the injured one inside and I am not sure what to do. These things killed for the fun of it, they ate chickens for over 2.5 hrs before animal control got them out of here. They were friendly as could be as long as you werent stopping them killing a chicken. Then they got aggressive. I don't know what to put up to keep them out. That thing was probably 150 lbs. I don't know if there is a law that says they have to put them down if they kill animals here and no idea how to find out either, animal control would certainly not volunteer it. They are dangerous but without them injuring a human they will just go right back home or be adopted out. They are very attractive dogs, they wont stay at the shelter long if our neighbor doesnt go pick them up. There is no way our neighbor could have missed his dogs were gone either, they take them out to the bathroom on short hand held chains - this from another neighbor. Which means they probably sat and watched them attack and go after my family. Money is not that big of an issue because making these birds and my kids safe is much more important. Please if anyone has an idea, that does not involve killing the neighbors dogs, I would really appreciate it. No electric fences, this is only one of many neighbors with supposed to be contained but yet not sometimes animals, the neighbors pekinese would be rather sad to walk into it I would say, even if he does yapp like he was shaken as a pup. Also, I have thousands of dollars in vet bills into my dog, so we don't want her dying either, she absolutely cannot defend herself either, she had a tendon in her back leg tear in 2010 and the resulting limp balance issues caused her hips to go. She cant walk if shes off her meds a few days.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    To find out the legalities, go online, call your city office, or go to the public library - research and find out your local laws. Shooting them would have been the only option here, but we live on a farm and it would have been safe and legal to do so. The kids could be sent into another part of the house. But it sounds like you're in a populated area, so that probably isn't legal for you anyway. That being the case, it sounds like you'd better invest in some good, sturdy fencing.

3. annwilson

annwilson New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    Would a wooden privacy fence keep them out do you think? That thing was the largest animal I have ever seen outside a farm, I am worried he can bulldoze through anything.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, a wooden privacy fence should do it. Even a 100+ lb dog can't knock down one. Think of it, a 200 lb human can't barge through that, so a dog can't. But make sure there's something like wire buried under it so there's no digging. It stinks that the owners won't be responsible and keep the dogs contained themselves.

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    did you have the police officers talk to the neighbors? They will do an incident report and also take an estimate of the damages. Your neighbor will be liable for those damages and you can update the amount if you take your dog into the vet to check her injuries as well. If you haven't had a report filed, I'd suggest doing it immediately. Do you have an AC (animal control)? Since the dogs were growling and snapping at you, I would call them as well.

Are you in the city limits? That will affect whether or not you can use lethal force.

351.27. Right to kill tagged dog

It shall be lawful for any person to kill a dog, wearing a collar with a rabies vaccination tag attached, when the dog is caught in the act of chasing, maiming, or killing any domestic animal or fowl, or when such dog is attacking or attempting to bite a person.

CREDIT(S)

Amended by Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 34; Acts 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1.
    HISTORICAL AND STATUTORY NOTES
    2007 Electronic Update
    2007 Legislation
    Acts 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1, deleted "worrying," following "caught in the act of".

351.28. Liability for damages

The owner of a dog shall be liable to an injured party for all damages done by the dog, when the dog is caught in the action of worrying, maiming, or killing a domestic animal, or the dog is attacking or attempting to bite a person, except when the party damaged is doing an unlawful act, directly contributing to the injury. This section does not apply to damage done by a dog affected with hydrophobia unless the owner of the dog had reasonable grounds to know that the dog was afflicted with hydrophobia and by reasonable effort might have prevented the injury.
    CREDIT(S)
    Amended by Acts 1983 (70 G.A.) ch. 117, § 1.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusiast351_1_43.htm#s27

6. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    shotgun would work well

7. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    First try to take video of the attack and/or deceased birds with the dogs messing with them.
    Second take the proof to the neighbor and politely ask for the cost of the birds.
    Third If owner fails to correct the problem, call the police and if that does not work, shoot the dogs.

My closest neighbors are 1/4 mile away. I politely suggested that any dog attacking me or my poultry is a dead dog if i catch it in the act.
    A big problem here is people dumping dogs. They chunk their dog(s) out near the cluster of neighbors houses and the dogs find their way to my house from hearing roosters.
    Any dog i do not know is shot on sight if it looks diseased or attempts to mess with my birds.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  8. annwilson

annwilson New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    We live in town, the dogs had no collars nor rabies tags, it was simply that at the time I couldnt wrap around shooting them in front of the kids, it was very quick and once they were all dead it didnt cross my mind as I had already called animal control, that wont be a problem next time, fine me for defending my kids, I dare them.
    The police wouldn't come out, only if the dog couldnt be caught by animal control would they do so. We did call. Thank you everyone, we are going to go with a 7 ft wooden fence next weekend and keep them all inside in the meantime, I am pretty sure the neighbors watched though so those dogs may end up miles away if they are adopted by someone else. *crosses fingers
    For the coop we were thinking of doing a welded wire kennel and putting it inside and cattle panels on top, that would keep out even the most determined right? I was going to do a concrete block foundation around the perimeter as it seems mean to keep them on concrete to keep them safe

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    tell the police that you need a report for insurance purposes. Yes, they will come out and document what happened. I would also ask them if they (or AC) would talk to the neighbors about the legalities of roaming dogs that attack livestock.

ETA: in some areas, these reports might be handled by animal control, so ask who will do it. Either way, you need an official report that documents the amount of damages, the date, description of the dogs, and a notation that the owners of the dogs were notified of the incident by officials. Then submit the neighbors with a bill for the damages and a copy of the report. If you plan on shooting the dogs if they return, I would ask the officials (police or AC) to inform the owners of your legal right to do this and to also note in the report that the owners were told. It never hurts to CYA!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It would tick me off enough to have had the chickens killed, but when a child is afraid of being killed in his own backyard, oh heck no! I live in the country, neighbors are 1/4 mile from me, but we all have dogs out here. It is an unwritten (and written!) law out here; if your dog is harassing or killing livestock, you will be delivered a dead dog...period. People tend to dump dogs out here too, although it has slowed down in the last 10 years. I rehomed quite a few, and only had to shoot one Pit Bull who was in my yard growling at my kids! A 12 gauge ended that problem very quickly. It's a shame that irresponsible people let their dogs roam, especially those with dangerous propensities!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by