How to Keep this Coop Clean - Is Deep Litter Bedding Possible?

I do that because the bricks are free and anything that doesn't have to be permanently installed is a win for me, because I'm not inclined to actually build things. The bricks don't all have to be at the ends, I have some in the middle too now.

I think I remember your coop build now... you had a friend that did it? IIRC people did mention concerns about it being too short inside and because of that you don't really have the height to create the litter volume needed to do deep bedding.

You can try going a month or two between clean outs but you'll need to judge honestly for yourself if that works. If you start to see moisture build up inside or smell ammonia, then it needs to be cleaned out.

Yes, that's the build. So far it's probably been 2-3 weeks and I've dumped one more wheel barrel load of mulch in a few days ago. There's a smell but it's not strong and it's still dry. I might try mixing in some different types of litter to help and keep a watch on it.
I'm thinking it will definitely need more frequent clean outs in the summer.

Stall pellets = wood horse pellets right?
Good idea to mix different things. I have some pine shavings in the nest boxes so maybe I could add some of that, some paper shreds and some wood pellets (we buy them for our cat litter boxes)
Sounds like your set up is similar to mine. How high can it be stacked up and how often do you clean it completely?
Yes - the wood horse pellets - when damp they become sawdust. They are highly absorbent - I use them for cat litter too. If I see a pile of poop building up in an area i cover it over with those pellets.

In terms of how high does it pile up I would say quite high where I keep adding - but the ladies dig around and flatten the pile quite quickly. And as I said it then falls out the door into the run where it rots down pretty quickly.

Don't judge me, but I haven't cleaned it out once in over 4 years. I just add on top. Sometimes I want some fertilizer for the garden - like planting shrubs - and I go in and dig out a bucket. But that isn't really cleaning, that is more like harvesting.

Now one big difference is mine is directly on dirt so I am getting the benefit of soil microorganisms to rot things down - but it is too dry to really compost so it is, like yours, deep bedding until it falls into the run where it gets wet when rain drives in from the sides (the run is covered so quite dry in the middle).

Yes, that's the build. So far it's probably been 2-3 weeks and I've dumped one more wheel barrel load of mulch in a few days ago. There's a smell but it's not strong and it's still dry. I might try mixing in some different types of litter to help and keep a watch on it.
I'm thinking it will definitely need more frequent clean outs in the summer.
I love wood chips and get them for free from my local tree guy - but they do not absorb moisture well so I think you need something else in there.
Pine shavings work well. People swear by hemp but at least for me it is eye-wateringly expensive!. The wood pellets are highly absorbent and not very expensive. So at least add in some of them.

I love wood chips and get them for free from my local tree guy - but they do not absorb moisture well so I think you need something else in there.
Pine shavings work well. People swear by hemp but at least for me it is eye-wateringly expensive!. The wood pellets are highly absorbent and not very expensive. So at least add in some of them.

Thanks! Do you think the mulch is okay to have some in there or just better to have other things instead?
I can mix in some pellets and shavings. I can also shred some paper to put in. Appreciate the help!

Yep, Hemp bedding is expensive, but I weigh that out compared to the time and energy spent.

I am using sawdust particles, (not the really fine stuff) in my chicken runs, and that has been great .... so far, time will tell with the rainy seasons to come. But I believe we are ready for that by having gutters along the sides of our two runs, and a combination of tarps, tin, and retractable sidewalls.

The sawdust particles turn into dirt when the chickens are through doing their "things". The chickens love it, dusting, digging, you name it!

Last edited:
Thanks! Do you think the mulch is okay to have some in there or just better to have other things instead?
I can mix in some pellets and shavings. I can also shred some paper to put in. Appreciate the help!
Yeah. I use wood chips in there too. It is how I know they aren’t as absorbent as the pine pellets or wood shavings.
My dried leaves also aren’t very absorbent but they have bugs in them so they provide entertainment. Shredded paper is actually pretty good in terms of absorbency.

Yes - the wood horse pellets - when damp they become sawdust. They are highly absorbent - I use them for cat litter too. If I see a pile of poop building up in an area i cover it over with those pellets.

In terms of how high does it pile up I would say quite high where I keep adding - but the ladies dig around and flatten the pile quite quickly. And as I said it then falls out the door into the run where it rots down pretty quickly.

Don't judge me, but I haven't cleaned it out once in over 4 years. I just add on top. Sometimes I want some fertilizer for the garden - like planting shrubs - and I go in and dig out a bucket. But that isn't really cleaning, that is more like harvesting.

Now one big difference is mine is directly on dirt so I am getting the benefit of soil microorganisms to rot things down - but it is too dry to really compost so it is, like yours, deep bedding until it falls into the run where it gets wet when rain drives in from the sides (the run is covered so quite dry in the middle).
I won't judge you. :) I say I clean out the pine shavings spring and fall in the coop. But this sping it just didn't seem like it was needed. So, I have a new bail of pine shavings and will do a clean out this weekend. That will be one year between cleaning. And cleaing means sweep out the old, dump in the new. Old shavings to the run. New shavings to the coop. The girls spread the shavings and poops. We have a plywood floor. No covering. It seems in perfect condition after 6-7 years.

You have your bedding on dirt. I imagine that could go a long time. If I do a coop 2.0. No floor, woods fresh air coop.

You have your bedding on dirt. I imagine that could go a long time. If I do a coop 2.0. No floor, woods fresh air coop.

One thing I really wanted was a raised up coop for two reasons: so I had a sheltered place for the food and a sheltered place for the chickens. The coop is small so I knew I needed to utilize the other space I had. There ARE things I would do differently if I had to do it again, but this is one thing I'm glad I did.
I probably would have it deeper so I could do deep bedding and not have it *quite* as high off the ground. It's probably three feet high. However, my kids can go under it to grab chickens which they do quite frequently so that's a plus.

Back
Top Bottom