How to keep waterer clean from dirt etc.?

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I built a home made feeder & screwed it on a wall inside the coop about 6 inches off the ground. It stays clean. But the water er which I have one inside the coop hanging off the ground always gets pine shaving in it. I recently hung another one in the run & the chicks now take their bathe around it so its always got dirt in it. FYI chickens drink alot of water.

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
I also hang the top off a plaster bucket directly over mine to keep the birds from roosting on it. Drill a hole through the middle of the top, run a rope through and knot it then hang it so if the bird jumps on they'll be tipped off.

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
Ms~Silkie~Girl :

You probably have to raise it higher, it should be at the height of their backs.

I've been going up with it. The problem is they scratch around & throw dirt , pine shavings at least a foot high. If there's something they can eat their gonna find it. I've gone into the coop & there's pine shaving stacked 2 feet high in a pile.​

Ms~Silkie~Girl

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
New York STATE
Quote:
I've been going up with it. The problem is they scratch around & throw dirt , pine shavings at least a foot high. If there's something they can eat their gonna find it. I've gone into the coop & there's pine shaving stacked 2 feet high in a pile.

hmmmm, i dont know then, mine don't scratch near the waterer.., if its possible could you move it?

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
I'd find about a 4'x4' scrap pf plywood or linoleum or whatever and put it under the waterer, probably weight it down with a coupe of concrete blocks.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom