How to keep waterer clean from dirt etc.?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Oct 16, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I built a home made feeder & screwed it on a wall inside the coop about 6 inches off the ground. It stays clean. But the water er which I have one inside the coop hanging off the ground always gets pine shaving in it. I recently hung another one in the run & the chicks now take their bathe around it so its always got dirt in it. FYI chickens drink alot of water.

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    you might need to raise it off the ground a little higher. I have mine on cement blocks I think they are about 8x16.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1 cinder blocks
    the bantams need bricks under the waterer

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I also hang the top off a plaster bucket directly over mine to keep the birds from roosting on it. Drill a hole through the middle of the top, run a rope through and knot it then hang it so if the bird jumps on they'll be tipped off.

5. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Or you could always go the nipple route.

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    You propably have to raise it higher, it should be at the height of their backs.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Ms~Silkie~Girl :

You probably have to raise it higher, it should be at the height of their backs.

I've been going up with it. The problem is they scratch around & throw dirt , pine shavings at least a foot high. If there's something they can eat their gonna find it. I've gone into the coop & there's pine shaving stacked 2 feet high in a pile.​

8. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Quote:I've been going up with it. The problem is they scratch around & throw dirt , pine shavings at least a foot high. If there's something they can eat their gonna find it. I've gone into the coop & there's pine shaving stacked 2 feet high in a pile.

hmmmm, i dont know then, mine don't scratch near the waterer.., if its possible could you move it?

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd find about a 4'x4' scrap pf plywood or linoleum or whatever and put it under the waterer, probably weight it down with a coupe of concrete blocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by