How to keep waterer clean from dirt etc.?

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I built a home made feeder & screwed it on a wall inside the coop about 6 inches off the ground. It stays clean. But the water er which I have one inside the coop hanging off the ground always gets pine shaving in it. I recently hung another one in the run & the chicks now take their bathe around it so its always got dirt in it. FYI chickens drink alot of water.

I also hang the top off a plaster bucket directly over mine to keep the birds from roosting on it. Drill a hole through the middle of the top, run a rope through and knot it then hang it so if the bird jumps on they'll be tipped off.

Ms~Silkie~Girl :

You probably have to raise it higher, it should be at the height of their backs.

I've been going up with it. The problem is they scratch around & throw dirt , pine shavings at least a foot high. If there's something they can eat their gonna find it. I've gone into the coop & there's pine shaving stacked 2 feet high in a pile.​

Quote:
I've been going up with it. The problem is they scratch around & throw dirt , pine shavings at least a foot high. If there's something they can eat their gonna find it. I've gone into the coop & there's pine shaving stacked 2 feet high in a pile.

hmmmm, i dont know then, mine don't scratch near the waterer.., if its possible could you move it?

I'd find about a 4'x4' scrap pf plywood or linoleum or whatever and put it under the waterer, probably weight it down with a coupe of concrete blocks.

Back
Top Bottom