How to keep wrap on rooster's foot

Avrilon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Georgia Mountains
My black copper maran rooster buddy, Clyde, has a small cut on the bottom of his foot and is limping. I've cleaned the cut and put betadine on it to clean it and then put on some neosporine, gauze and covered his whole foot with Vetrap (procedure like in this video:
). I even added some sticky tape at the top to make sure it was secure. Within an hour he'd pulled the whole thing off.
barnie.gif
I'm so afraid it will get infected and bumblefoot will occur. He is already limping, so it must be painful.
sad.png

Does anyone have a good way to keep a bandage attached to his foot? I tried to order poultry shoes from indoorducks.com, but they are no longer in business. Thank you in advance for any advice; I'm desperate.

I cut the vet wrap in smaller strips and wrap the foot. I only wrap the foot, and not up the leg. I can do this with two strips that are less than a half inch wide, and about six inches long. I'll try and find some pics for you. I get the vet wrap that is flesh colored, so it doesn't attract the chicken's attention. Maybe you rooster is just more particular and doesn't like it on his foot.

Another thing you can do is paint the wound shut with liquid skin. (Like nu-skin). Wash and dry the affected area very carefully, and if it's a slit, you can pinch that wound together and paint it shut. Give it a nice thick coating. If it's more of a scrap, just paint the whole wound real good. The rooster will not even know there's any wound dressing on it at all.

Oh, and you'll have to keep him restrained until it dries fully, which doesn't take long at all.

Good luck!
Sharon

Last edited:
Here is a thread on bumblefoot surgery. Pics show how they did a wrap different than that video. No clue how it will stay on?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649
What color wrap are you using? I would avoid bright fun colors, seems like hot pink and red are just asking for a roo to pull it off. What about a sock of some sort. Stretchy fabric stitched in a tube with holes cut for his spur and back toe. If you put him in a short cage, he may not be able to reach his foot to pull off the dressing? Sounds mean and I am sure he won't like it..... but if it works and keeps him infection free?

Thanks, Chickmom. I have the black colored Vetwrap since his legs are kind of a charcoal color. I think I'll try again with your method of using it (just on the foot and not up the leg at all) and if that doesn't work, hubby is picking up some of the liquid skin in case we need it. Plus, I think we'll put him in an enclosed area inside the coop with fresh pine shavings to keep the chance of infection lower.

Thanks for the quick reply.
smile.png

Thanks, AZBootsie, that is similar to the way I bandaged him, only it was up the leg a little more hoping to make it more secure. That didn't work!
hmm.png
Maybe that's what he didn't like though - being on his leg. I'll try it lower like they showed in the bumblefoot post and try the 3-strip method. The wrap I'm using is black to match his charcoal colored legs. Nobody seemed to pick at the wrapping but him, so I think it's okay. I'll try the short cage method if nothing else works; right now I'm just going to put him inside a smaller area inside the coop to at least keep him from walking on poop.

Back
Top Bottom