1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to kill a fox?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by reba353, Dec 8, 2015.

1. reba353

reba353 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    North Alabama
    I recently had a fox break into my chicken coop and kill every one of my darlings in one night, needless to say I am very upset!!! I have some babies in the brooder right now and I want to make sure they are 100 % safe. Other than fortifying their coop, I was also planning on setting out a trap such as this one:
    http://m.flemingoutdoors.com/duke-15-coil-spring-rubber-jaw-leg-tr.html
    But due to me living within city limits I cannot shoot it, so I was wondering if there was another way for me to dispatch it. I choose the rubber jawed one incase I acidentally caught an unawares dog.
    Thanks for any help!
    Rebecca

2. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Catch it in a live trap (a cage is best) take it outside of the city limits and shoot it there.

3. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    OMG! I am so sorry! I am still not over the killings of my chickens so I feel your pain.
    How do you know it was a fox?

4. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Fox are usually too smart to be fought in a live trap. There is one live trap that works better than most because it has a small interior cage to put live bait in it.

I understand how frustrating it can be I lost three of my girls and had one seriously injured due to a family of fox near my house. Now they don't go outside of the run w/o supervision.

I hope you catch it!

5. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Fox are usually too smart to be fought in a live trap. There is one live trap that works better than most because it has a small interior cage to put live bait in it.

I understand how frustrating it can be I lost three of my girls and had one seriously injured due to a family of fox near my house. Now they don't go outside of the run w/o supervision.

I hope you catch it!

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There are hundreds of videos on the web on how to trap foxes or other varmints, fire up your browser and sit a spell.

Most land based fur harvesters resort to the Louisville slugger method of dispatching their catch. No holes in the pelt and super duper quite as well.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by