How to kill a rabbit?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by obsessed, Nov 11, 2008.

1. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    So I have done my homework on various ways to kill rabbits?

I think the broken neck or the bonk to the head is most popular.

How do you guys do it?

I had intended on my husband doing it but now he is getting squimish. So I might have to. He should have said something before we bought the bunnies or the cages...

Ok thanks

2. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    wack at the base of the head my dad always used a hammer, but make the first wack count because if you dont they scream, scream loudly and like a baby in a lot of pain.

3. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    My friend stands on a broomstick across their neck and her husband pulls the legs.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm glad we only have breeding bunnies for 4H! I couldn't do it!

5. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    We did the hammer wack too when we raised New Zealands. The occaisional squeal was the hardest part. I told my self that it was just a reaction and the bunny really wasn't feeling anything [​IMG] .

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    We shoot them with a 22. at point blank range on the back of the head. They instantly strech out and die, but right afterwards you need to cut the jugular vein.

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Hold them by the back legs and hit where the head joins the neck with a shortened ax handle.

8. chickiepoo2

chickiepoo2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    The "bonk to the head" is my personal favorite. Quick and easy. If you do it fast and hard enough there isn't any sqealing or a need for a second bonk. Good Luck

9. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    when i was a kid my grandpa always hung them up by there feet and cut there necks. the only bad thing was they squealed loud that is about the worst part doing it this way

10. dunroven

dunroven Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2008
    Odebolt, Iowa
    I dress my own rabbits. I don't like the way my husband does it, which is the bonk, but he makes a mess of things. I take a piece of iron rebar, put it on the back of the head, right behind the head, and stand on the ends and then pull up. You can kind of tell when the back breaks. Then I hang them up immediately over a box and cut the head off so they can bleed pretty quickly. If you don't get them up and bleeding the blood all stays between the shoulders and on the back of the neck, and makes that part harder to clean. Of course, I cut the ribs off of the back bone, and don't even mess with the backbone, but still, it is a lot easier to deal with if it isn't so bloody.

Make sure you salt soak your rabbits after cleaning them too. Helps get the blood out of the small veins, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by