How to kill a rooster? HELP

Bedste

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Cut n Shoot Texas
What is the right way to kill a rooster? I have heard that their hearts need to be pumping while they bleed out upside down in a cone, and that its ok just to pop their neck and then turn them upside down and cut off the head.

Is there a right answer or is this just a matter of preference?

With the few roosters that I've killed, I prefer to hang them up side down,low to the ground and shoot them in the back of the head with a 22. They die instantly and don't flop around near as much as when chopping of the head, and they bleed out really well or the blood is collected in the head or after killing them you can remove the head and let them bleed out better that way.
But most of time I think it is just a matter of preference like you said, and what seems the most humane to the person doing the deed.

I think it would all depend on what type of mess you are trying to avoid. My father always used a hatchet and then threw them in a bucket or small garbage can and they bleed out but flop around a bit. So that's still how we do it. But I would think if you used the cones the blood would be caught in what ever you have at the bottom. So I think it's just a matter of choice. They all end up in the same place, the freezer.

I stick them in my meatie cone just like everybody else.

If I don't care about the mess, I take a length of rope, tie a loop in one end.

Run the tag through the loop and make a noose.

Tie the tag end to the clothesline or a branch.

Take the roo's feet and stick them through the noose.

Take a sharp knife, grab his head, stretch him out, and slice the neck right through the spine just under the bill. Do it quick in one fast, deliberate motion.

He'll be dead before you check to see if you got any blood on you.

He'll flop and bleed out in just a couple minutes.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think it's just a matter of preference.

FWIW, I have done it both of those two exact ways within the last year, and they ended up bled out just fine, and quite tasty
smile.png
, both ways.

The heart continues to beat for a while both ways anyhow, btw.

For more (a whole, great big lot more) on the subject of dispatching roosters for the table, check out threads in the "Meat Birds Etc" section of the forum.

Pat

Wow have I heard this to many times lol.Just grab em by the legs lay them on a chopping block(a.k.a large piece of wood)grab a hatchet or nice ax and just swing.Its normal for the bird to flap but its already dead.Put it in a bucket and letit bleed out for a couple minutes.I think cutting the jugular is not the best method,it bleeds the bird out good but its not that clean.the bird can still feel all the pain opposed to cutting its spinal cord instantly killing him.

My MIL steps on their head and pulls it off
hide.gif

The only time I've ever had to do it, I just wrung (wrang/wrung/whatever) their neck, then held them down until they quit flopping. I've only had to do it once to an evil roo.

Back
Top Bottom