How to know if chickens are too hot or too cold?

They should. But where have they been? Is this their first night outside? I kept the windows wide open in the room with my brooder so that the move outside to the coop wouldn’t be a shock. I don’t know if that’s necessary or not. 54 isn’t really all that cold. They have shelter outside?

they have been indoors at around 65 in the brooder. Outside all day since this morning which was 55. So it will be same temp overnight as they started out in the morning. I have a kennel the locks up for tonight.

I hope someone more experienced will chime in! I’m pretty new but I read a lot. My best guess is they would be okay outside as long as they have shelter from any wind and bedding to fluff up.

Where are you located? You can add that to your profile and it will help with any future questions.

Thank you for chatting. I’m in Nebraska, out in the country. I will add that to my profile. Im so new that I’m not sure where to ask questions to. Still learning to navigate the site. Thank you again.

My first chicks were outside after week 3, and my most recent was out there at day one. I just plunk my brooder set up in the coop, and that's that. As long as there is a heat source, no drafts, no dampness, protection from predators, food, and water, they are good to go! If they are fully feathered, you can ditch the heat source.

At 5 to 6 weeks old they should be fully feathered and be able to do fine at the temps you have there.

As was posted above, they can often be a bit scared at first and will cuddle for the first couple of nights.

make sure they know where home is too. It can take a bit for them to rehome

I had to go over this thread a few times to work out who was who. OP only posted the very first post, never mentioned chicks, only chickens. And from here i lost my way! :lau

As long as there are no drafts ( breezes that physically contact the birds) and plenty of ventilation (open area well above a chicken that is standing tall on the roost) a 5 or six week old flock should have all their real feathers and will keep each other warm at this time of year. Hopefully they have been raised under the conditions outlined in post #2 by sumi.
Keep them inside the coop with food and water during the day, food and water removed at night (feed attracts vermin, water spills and coop should always be bone dry). After several days you can let them out into the run. This teaches them where home is, their safe place inside the coop. If they don't go back in at night physically put them back and start again by locking them in. Once they learn stop feeding and watering indoors. Do that in the run. Water can stay in the run at night but not food.

Back
Top Bottom