How to layer materials in the run

ksato003

Songster
Jun 5, 2021
I've read some good things about using sand in the run. My question is about how to layer materials, including sand, in the run. We have okay drainage and good weather -- I live in the Bay Area, California.

We plan on using Saturday Lime and all-purpose sand (from Home Depot / Lowe's, since we don't have access to it otherwise). Do I need anything else in addition to these two?

Do I put down Saturday Lime first (how thick?), and then dump the sand on top? How thick should each layer be?

At some point, should I deep clean/remove all the layers and how often should that be throughout the year? I plan on poo/picking the sand regularly, but I want to avoid a buildup of any pests/parasites etc.

Thanks!

I've read some good things about using sand in the run. My question is about how to layer materials, including sand, in the run. We have okay drainage and good weather -- I live in the Bay Area, California.

We plan on using Saturday Lime and all-purpose sand (from Home Depot / Lowe's, since we don't have access to it otherwise). Do I need anything else in addition to these two?

Do I put down Saturday Lime first (how thick?), and then dump the sand on top? How thick should each layer be?

At some point, should I deep clean/remove all the layers and how often should that be throughout the year? I plan on poo/picking the sand regularly, but I want to avoid a buildup of any pests/parasites etc.

Thanks!
If you can't keep the run completely dry, I would avoid using sand. I've read over and over about members posting that their run stinks to high heaven after rains.
I personally use a thick layer of wood chips for cold composting in a run with a solid roof but I'm in the north east and wood chips are readily available to me for free.

Thanks for the feedback! This is really useful. I didn’t think about heavy rain and stink is not something I want to deal with. I’ll consider alternatives.. as for the layering, I just wasnt sure if I use something like Saturday lime or DE how to layer that in order for it to be effective (bottom, top, doesn’t matter). Sounds like the chickens mix it all up anyway. And I’m aware of the pros/cons for DE.

Thanks for the feedback! This is really useful. I didn’t think about heavy rain and stink is not something I want to deal with. I’ll consider alternatives.. as for the layering, I just wasnt sure if I use something like Saturday lime or DE how to layer that in order for it to be effective (bottom, top, doesn’t matter). Sounds like the chickens mix it all up anyway. And I’m aware of the pros/cons for DE.
I wouldn't bother with the lime or the DE. What you need is something that will remain dry or drain quickly after a rain as it is the wet that makes the poop stink.

I wouldn't bother with the lime or the DE. What you need is something that will remain dry or drain quickly after a rain as it is the wet that makes the poop stink.
What about parasite/bug control? I was going to use those things for that, although I hear Saturday lime helps with smell too

I didn’t think about heavy rain and stink is not something I want to deal with. I’ll consider alternatives..

I'm a great fan of Deep Bedding in the coop (my article here), and Deep Litter in the run.

What about parasite/bug control? I was going to use those things for that, although I hear Saturday lime helps with smell too

DE is a respiratory irritant. It does little or nothing to prevent parasites in the coop and is deactivated by moisture. If you actually get parasites in the flock you need to treat them with appropriate, targeted measures such as pyrethrin for mites/lice and the correct dewormers for tapeworms or roundworms (as determined after a fecal float has been done) since they respond to different dewormers.

Ordinary, non-parasitic bugs don't require any treatment (*maybe* the use of fly traps depending on circumstances), because they are delicious chicken snacks.

I agree with everybody above. I'm not a fan of sand either. With sand, the poop doesn't compost and break down, it just accumulates and smells. Gets ground up and powderized by the friction with the coarse sand particles as the chickens scratch around, and now you have poop dust that everybody's inhaling when the weather is dry. Ew. If you have organic material on the run floor, such as wood chips, mulch, dry leaves, grass clippings, straw, hay, and whatever else you can dump in there, it combines with the poop and moisture from weather and forms a compost. It breaks down and turns to soil. Sand doesn't turn poop to soil. The poop stays poopy. It may decompose on its own eventually, but it will take a lot longer and will be a lot more unpleasant. Unless you commit to raking/scooping it out regularly and disposing of it somehow. Which is a lot of work and very annoying. With organic material (deep litter method), you don't ever have to clean or take the poop out. It composts in place eventually. That's what I do and I love the method. I dump whatever yard waste I can find into the run. You have 4 seasons in the Bay Area, you can collect leaves in the fall and use them throughout the year to top off the run. If you have a lawn, dump the grass clippings in there. Get some wood chips or mulch. Both you and your chickens will be happier. A mixed media type organic bedding (by organic I mean comprised of formerly living things as opposed to rocks and sand, I don't mean the fancy modern buzzword "organic") is a lot more satisfying for the chickens to forage through, and is a better host for bugs and worms they'll love discovering and eating.

You don't need bug control unless you have a specific and harmful bug problem. Don't try to eliminate nature from your run. Chickens love nature - bugs, worms, plant material. Sand is boring.

Back
Top Bottom