How to let ducks bathe in winter?!

twolilquacklings

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
I live in Maine where the temperatures rarely get above 35° in the winter and I don’t know how to keep my ducks clean. My pekin ducks feathers are getting all brown and muddy and its too cold to fill up their pool...any advice from people who live in cold areas? The best I can do is fill up a shallow bowl of water but she doesn’t seem to like it for swimming.

My plan is to give them enough slightly warm water carried from the house at the warmest part of the day to bathe in as often as temps outside are above 35°. I can then dump the water once they have bathed.

It won't be fun but it should help them.

Last edited:
I've seen multiple people say they let their ducks bathe in the teens and 20's. I plan to try it and see how it goes.

I've seen multiple people say they let their ducks bathe in the teens and 20's. I plan to try it and see how it goes.
I do, except for my one duck who has feather quality issues and isn't waterproof. The other ones who are nearly 6 and 7 years swim all winter outside. I crack the ice for them and they happily splash around the ice water. We do live near Seattle and it only gets that cold for a few weeks - but they've made it to be that old without hypothermia or frostbite. They don't seem to notice or care about the cold. What they don't like, in my opinion, is heat.

Back
Top Bottom