How to live their best lives?

Welcome! We start with a 3" cube of grass and clover in the brooder at 2 weeks. At 3 weeks, we start taking our littles out on short field trips in a screen house so they are safe and contained while still having freedom to explore.

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_150516727.jpg
    IMG_20210519_150516727.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Sorry - I’ve been so overwhelmed today. Do I leave like the chickweed or clover or whatever the weeds are with the dirt?
Yup. Any bugs in there can stay too.

If the greenery is kind of long/overgrown, safest to trim it down to maybe 1/2"-1" or so, to prevent chicks from accidentally ripping off a big chunk and trying to swallow it.

I almost forgot, if you give them dirt/grass and take them outside, make sure to keep an eye out for coccidiosis. I don't feed medicated starter, but keep Corid on hand to use at the first sign of blood in their poop.

Hi All -

I am an over the top animal lover! Yesterday I got our first batch of chicks (4 from tractor supply). We have them in a large galvanized tub with their heat lamp, water, and food. Their bedding is large pine shavings. I took a small amazon box from some past random delivery and put some sticks through it to make little perches for them. They seem to be happy so far, from my incredibly limited experience. They like to dig through the shavings to find their food at times, and others eat directly from the feeder. I have read so much and my head is spinning with what is actually best to do with chicks this young - my assumption is that they're 1 week old.

1) I read that putting a small amount of apple cider vinegar in their water can be beneficial at this point to help support their immune systems.
2) I've read that fresh culinary herbs (I have dill, oregano, parsley, and sage in abundance in my garden at the moment) can be something fun for them to dig for in the pine shavings while also being good for their immune system. Similarly, fresh garlic? However, if I do this it's good to go ahead and put some dirt from the outside with some grass clippings or weeds to introduce them to the outside environment and get some grit in for the addition to their diet.
3) Can I take them outside to explore for 10-15 minutes, if they're supervised (the high today is 86)?
4) What other things can I add to their brooder to maximize their mental stimulation and happiness?

Thank you for all of your help. I want my ladies to live their best lives! I know how to spoil my over the top dogs, but want to do the same for these fluffy ladies!
Hi there. Yes, all of these things are beneficial. The most beneficial would be dirt or a chunk of sod from your yard or yes, take them outside for some fun. At those temps they can be outside all the time as long they have a place to go to get warmed up and some shade to cool off if they need to. This will introduce them to the bacteria in your yard and will help them develop their immune systems. ACV I don’t use, it’s not something they’d normally get and there are probiotics specifically for chicks and chickens.
Some people put a clove or two of garlic in their water but I chopped fine and offered raw once in a while. If you add anything at all to water be sure to have plain, clean water available as well so they have a choice.
Mirrors and perches at various heights and places to hide are all great additions to the brooder. Sprinkle feed and or chick grit so they can scratch about to find it. If you give any foods other than feed they’ll need grit.
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom