How to lower humidity?

How old are the eggs and where were they stored?
I've been saving my hens' best eggs so the oldest ones are 5 days old. They have been stored pointy end down in an egg carton on my counter right where the incubator is. I've been turning them 2-3 times a day. I may switch out the slightly older eggs for newer ones if I can't set them in the next day or two.

What is the ambient humidity in your area and in your kitchen - not just today, I know it's been raining, but over the last week or so? Are you still running a heater in the house, or A/C, or just windows? Could you locate the incubator in a drier location, say, a bedroom where you don't open the windows?

You might consider doing a "dry hatch" if your ambient humidity stays higher than maybe 40%-ish. That just means adding no water at all during the first 18 days (target 25-30% humidity only), and only adding water during lockdown.

I've been saving my hens' best eggs so the oldest ones are 5 days old. They have been stored pointy end down in an egg carton on my counter right where the incubator is. I've been turning them 2-3 times a day. I may switch out the slightly older eggs for newer ones if I can't set them in the next day or two.
Unless the temperatures in your kitchen are rather high (i.e.near the oven), this should work for a shorttime storage, but generally eggs for hatching are better stored in a cool place (46-55 Fahrenheit) with slightly raised humidity to prevent them from evaporating too much fluid (albumen) which can lead to issues like shrinkwrapped chicks during hatch.

Good luck!

What is the ambient humidity in your area and in your kitchen - not just today, I know it's been raining, but over the last week or so? Are you still running a heater in the house, or A/C, or just windows? Could you locate the incubator in a drier location, say, a bedroom where you don't open the windows?

You might consider doing a "dry hatch" if your ambient humidity stays higher than maybe 40%-ish. That just means adding no water at all during the first 18 days (target 25-30% humidity only), and only adding water during lockdown.
It hasn't been overly humid here. Maybe 30-50ish%?
We've been using the AC on and off. Windows are open quite often, however. We alternate according to the outside temperatures.

Unless the temperatures in your kitchen are rather high (i.e.near the oven), this should work for a shorttime storage, but generally eggs for hatching are better stored in a cool place (46-55 Fahrenheit) with slightly raised humidity to prevent them from evaporating too much fluid (albumen) which can lead to issues like shrinkwrapped chicks during hatch.

Good luck!
If I set the eggs tomorrow or the day after, would they be okay where they are?

I just checked the humidity again and it's down to 29%. Added a bit of water. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep a stable humidity level.

I think you're almost there. Wait a bit, maybe 30 minutes to stabilize, and check. Add a bit more (surface area) if it's still low, then wait and check again. You'll find the sweet spot.

I think you're almost there. Wait a bit, maybe 30 minutes to stabilize, and check. Add a bit more (surface area) if it's still low, then wait and check again. You'll find the sweet spot.
Added maybe 5 tablespoons of water. Now the humidity is at 64%. Should I decrease water surface area and keep the vent open?

Back
Top Bottom