How to lower humidity?

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
I set up my incubator yesterday (only added hygrometer today, however) and the humidity just refuses to come down. I removed basically all the water in the water reservoir (I know that humidity levels are determined by the water surface area, not necessarily the amount of water :)) but the humidity is still showing up as 60% or higher. How do I get it to come down when I've removed a bunch of water already? I tried opening the vent hole and the lid (only for a few seconds), and it did help to bring the humidity down from the high 80s to 90s, but now it's stuck at about 60%. Is the condensation on the walls of the incubator effecting humidity? Should I wipe down the walls to remove water? Thanks!

P.S. There are no eggs in the incubator yet.

You could wipe down the incubator walls but there are some questions I would like to know the answers for:

Where exactly is your incubator situated?
And what kind of weather are you having? Has it perhaps been very rainy and humid during the last few days?

I tried opening the vent hole and the lid (only for a few seconds),
Open the vent and leave it open, never close it. Use other means to increase humidity if needed than closing the vent.

Yes, condensation will effect the humidity level until it evaporates or you wipe them down. Let it run completely empty for a few hours and see where it lands.

How soon are you hoping to set eggs? What color will they be? Humidity will rise just a tad when eggs are added (in my experience).. also though that may vary depending on how many eggs are being set and volume size of the bator.. small bators are much more easily effected than large ones will be. Another note that bator temperature usually drops temporarily after eggs have been added, please do not make adjustments to settings during this period.

Which bator are you using? Forced or still air? Do you also have a thermometer in there?

You could wipe down the incubator walls but there are some questions I would like to know the answers for:

Where exactly is your incubator situated?
And what kind of weather are you having? Has it perhaps been very rainy and humid during the last few days?
It's on my kitchen counter. Not near the oven though.
It's been raining all day, but only today.

Open the vent and leave it open, never close it. Use other means to increase humidity if needed than closing the vent.

Yes, condensation will effect the humidity level until it evaporates or you wipe them down. Let it run completely empty for a few hours and see where it lands.

How soon are you hoping to set eggs? What color will they be? Humidity will rise just a tad when eggs are added (in my experience).. also though that may vary depending on how many eggs are being set and volume size of the bator.. small bators are much more easily effected than large ones will be. Another note that bator temperature usually drops temporarily after eggs have been added, please do not make adjustments to settings during this period.

Which bator are you using? Forced or still air? Do you also have a thermometer in there?
I was hoping to set eggs tomorrow. They will be brown (2), white (2-4), pink (2-3).
I don't know what my incubator is, as it was given to me, and the instruction manual has no name on it.
The incubator has a running fan that I am currently using.
Yep, there's a thermometer. Reading 98 degrees F.

Raining all day will elevate humidity levels in the incubator as well as having the incubator situated in the bathroom, laundry room or even the kitchen near the sink.

It is recommended to place the incubator in a room with constant temperature and humidity.

I was hoping to set eggs tomorrow. They will be brown (2), white (2-4), pink (2-3).
I don't know what my incubator is, as it was given to me, and the instruction manual has no name on it.
The incubator has a running fan that I am currently using.
Yep, there's a thermometer. Reading 98 degrees F.
How old are the eggs and where were they stored?

Back
Top Bottom