How to Make a Hen Broody?

Great post!

One thing: You can hatch pretty much anything under a broody IF she's serious about it and will stay put long enough for them to hatch.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-hen-raising-ducklings.1286273/
I meant more so of the raising bit, It would be a bit hard to have a chicken mom raising a quail because they are completely different. I haven’t heard of one raising a duck before, thats quite cool. I figured because ducks take longer to hatch it would be difficult but chickens always find a way!

I also feel like its good to add this:
I personally feel more attached to my chicks with an incubator. A broody hen does the work so you don’t get the “snuggling in my shirt” bonding moments like you would with your own chicks from a incubator.

Just figured it would be worth saying!

I meant more so of the raising bit, It would be a bit hard to have a chicken mom raising a quail because they are completely different. I haven’t heard of one raising a duck before, thats quite cool. I figured because ducks take longer to hatch it would be difficult but chickens always find a way!
Oh, yes - very important distinction. They can hatch them, but not raise them.

Yeah, I am too afraid to incubate, tbh, because too many things can go wrong. I don't let broodies hatch because I would have nowhere for cockerels to go. I buy day old chicks when one of my hens goes broody and let her "adopt" them. There's that option, too.

Are incubators more work than having a hen go broody? I’m worried about the chicks not having a mother to guide them into the flock and whatever hens do with their chicks.
Well, yeah. There is some actual involvement with using an incubator, but it's not hard. You just make sure your sensors are accurate and everything is running well and occasionally add water. it depends on the model. (don't buy a yellow Bator from amazon, those are awful.)
You'll have to integrate them into your flock, that's also not hard, it takes some extra set up. Having a broody raise chicks doesn't guarantee their acceptance.

I also feel like its good to add this:
I personally feel more attached to my chicks with an incubator. A broody hen does the work so you don’t get the “snuggling in my shirt” bonding moments like you would with your own chicks from a incubator.

Just figured it would be worth saying!
I never even considered that, but I bet it does make a difference! Very worth saying!

Oh, yes - very important distinction. They can hatch them, but not raise them.

Yeah, I am too afraid to incubate, tbh, because too many things can go wrong. I don't let broodies hatch because I would have nowhere for cockerels to go. I buy day old chicks when one of my hens goes broody and let her "adopt" them. There's that option, too.
I didn’t make that clear at all in my post though. To be quite honest i had no idea they would be able to successfully hatch different birds but thats very cool!

Some people are great at hatching eggs, that’s just not my thing. I feel like they have a better shot at everything going right with a broody because im just nowhere near as experienced at incubators like some people are here.

Some people are great at hatching eggs, that’s just not my thing. I feel like they have a better shot at everything going right with a broody
I feel the same way! And to be honest, I don't want anything to do with chicks in my house and having to take care of them. I chick-sat last summer for my boss (5 newly hatched chicks that mom abandoned the day before hatch) and the 3 days I had them was more than long enough, lol. My OE hatched and raised chicks last year and that was perfect!

Back
Top Bottom