How to make a nice dirt bath?

I think so, if your soil isn't pretty sandy by itself.

I think you want sandy but not all sand for the dirt part. Some wood ashes are good, also.... I've seen 2 parts ash to 1 part sand. Some people pour them into a hollow in the dirt and let the chickens scratch and mix them together to their preference. Peat moss is also good, especially if your soil is not sandy. Or by itself, maybe.

Some people add dried herbs too. Some herbs have benefits like being anti parasite. Or just because.

You want dust (dirt or ashes or peat moss or herbs) to absorb the oils and clog up any parasites. Sand is heavier than the dust, to help keep it from being too billowly and help carry the dust back out when they shake. The little bit of sharpness in the sand might be a good thing too... to help clean the dander and such off. Ashes are dusty/absorbing and also their pH and/or charcoal helps against parasites.

What soil or sand to I need to get in order to make a good dirt bath for my chickens? I thought of mixing soil and sand together but I am not sure. Please help. Thanks

Garden dirt or potting soil seem to work really well.
The better you like the plants, the more the chickens like scratching them up to take a dust bath :)

But seriously, any kind of dirt seems to work, as long as it is not packed down too hard, or soggy wet. Sometimes they seem to like it in the sun (warm on cool days, dries out faster after rain.) Sometimes they like it in the shade (cool on hot days.) I cannot tell whether they like it best completely dry, or just a little bit damp, because they certainly use it both ways.

I've also seen chickens dustbathing in the litter of their coop or run, as long as it is somewhat dusty.

They seem to be pretty good at finding spots on their own, so I have never needed to make a spot on purpose. If you already have dirt on the floor of your run, and they are not dustbathing in it, maybe just take a shovel and loosen the dirt in one area. That might be all it takes to make it a good spot.

I am no expert on like everyone else but my bird seem to like compost dirt for the store (or just dirt without any fertilizer or styrofoam in it) and that construction sand you buying huge bags (you can get it smaller but I fill my run with it so I get it is bulk). I will throw in a pinch diatomaceous earth. And even some wood shavings. They seem to love it! If you have ash that is great to add but I don’t have any unless it is floating to my yard from a fire.

My chickens that are kept on little dirt for show get this mix in a tub in their coop. My layer flock gets this but the preferred the mud better (I got the bathe chickens that day).

Back
Top Bottom