How to make a simple window?

Here is a picture of the window. The window really isn't very big.
caf.gif

DSC00540.jpg

The cost of the plexiglass around here is more than the used windows at our St. Vincent store. I've seen them for five dollars on a regular basis. What you might want to do with it though is to install it so that it opens from the outside rather than in for easy access and staple hardware cloth or chickenwire on the inside to increase security over screen.

All of the ideas are good idea. I live in Florida so our weather may be pretty similar. Here's what I did and it didn't cost me a thing. I already had all the materials. Maybe you can find an old window from some one who may be remodeling or find away to use any materials you may have. Mine came from a laundry room. I used 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch hardware cloth, and no critter is going through that, I'm thinking about snakes. You will probably have to trim the window and seal it so rain won't get in and rot the wood, or leak inside. Windows are generally made to be installed from the outside, either flanged or not flanged and also generally flush mount. I put a bead of silicone around the window flange to seal it from the weather, but mine is flanged, flush mount. We get alot of rain here in the summer. As long as your wood will stay dry you'll have no problem.
jumpy.gif

depends on if you want a window for just ventilation or for direct sun. We built our coops attaching exetrior vents; several sizes at your Home Depot/Lowes over in the roofing section. These are eave vents that have a metal or plastic fixed openings and screen on the backside. Cut out a hole in the wall just smaller than the vent so you have room to attach and then caulk it around the edge to seal. All done.
Several sizes. Install several vents lower down the wall about 2 or 3 foot above the floor so the smells at chicken level will vent out. Have not had any problem with rain coming in.

An alternative, or in addition: install a shutter like door over an opening; cut out an opening and hinge it on the outside and install a hook and eye bolt to hook open and close ( like a shutter) on the outside of the coop (hint: measure and pencil in opening; cut out the hinge side first and attach the 2 hinges to the one side, then cut the other 3 openings). Install hardware cloth or similar to the inside. Make sure you have room for the shutter/door to be open and not in the way of anything else. Decide if you want to attach to open to the side or towards the top. Ours hinges to open towards the top (lifts up) and secures open with hook and eye bolts. Hope it helps. Use Craigslist or Habitat for Humanity, etc., for good prices.

You could also just cut a hole in the side of the coop the size you want and use the piece you cut out and hinge it in place so you can have it open in summer and closed in winter or when it's colder. Staple some hardware cloth or screen or even chicken wire on the inside to cover the hole.

It may be easier (for allignment purposes) if you just cut the line across the top or bottem (depending on if you want the wood to hinge up or down when open for ventilation) then screw the hinges on and then cut the other 3 sides. In this case all you would need is 2 hinges and a hook & eye screw. and the wire of course.

I had a thick piece of plexiglass type stuff and I cut a slightly smaller hole than the plexi and drilled holes in the plexi and the side of the coop and bolted it in place. They get some light in there with this window but it does not give any ventilation but I leave the pop door open and bungy cord the big clean out doors open so they get the ventilation they need.

Jayare

I dont have pics but I cut an opening in the side and but fence over it, then cut out a wood square with hinges to close at night and when cold (it's 90 during day, 45 at night right now) It works well

Sept08mybirds009-2.jpg

Sept08mybirds013-1.jpg

During construction phase, I punched a small hole in the wall with a pick axe, drew the square out in pencil or permanent marker, cut it out with an electric jig saw, had my son or son in law hold the plexiglass in place while I used an electric screw gun to screw the window frame pieces of trim I'd cut (w/jig saw and hand saw) in place that are holding the windows of plexiglass in place, one inside and one outside for double panes as I live in Alaska (and I'm a 5'4" woman).
Added: Our winters are long and stormy on the coast so I like being able to be inside w/the birds and keep them tame, too. Just be sure if you have coops you can get in with the birds and out of the weather, the wind does not blow the clasp shut and lock you inside unless you have a cell phone to call neighbors who laugh at you, to come rescue you...

Last edited:
A real simple window, you could try building. As you said, something you would explain to a 12 year old.
smile.png
Size is your choice..By hinging it you can open and close it as you wish. I would add a latch to keep it closed, perhaps a hook and eye type. Cover the opening from the inside, with hardware cloth as well for predator protection. If you hinge it on the side, rather than the top, put the hinges on the side that the wind predominantly blows from, so the window deflects the wind rather than it blowing into the coop.

Hope it helps!

coopwindow.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom