How to make a turkey cover for wound?

greyartist

Songster
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
NC
I have a hen that has a large gash on her side. I guess from the toms or something tried to get her trough the wire. I was thinking of something to go over her to cover the wound and protect her. Some sort of cloth tube? I don't think a standard hen apron would go down far enough to cover the wound. Any ideas on how to do it?

Normally I just clean the wound the put corona cream one it. Then I just wrap it with an ace bandage if need be although most of the time I don't wrap it and I have had great luck with full recoveries.

A cut on the side of the hens is usually caused by mating. Poultry heal amazingly fast, the only thing I do is watch for infection and let them heal up. if it's a mating wound and she is still in with the toms it will get worse if they try to mate her again.

Steve

Depending on the size of the wound clean the wound and use blue coat to spray over the wounds. Large wound may require a few stitches to close. Blue coat creates an artificial scab over the wound to seal it up.

Tom

Spraying some Adams tick a flea spray (or the like) on the wing feathers (not on wound) will keep the majority of flies from bothering wound.

Back
Top Bottom