How to make a turkey cover for wound?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by greyartist, Oct 4, 2010.

1. greyartist

greyartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    NC
    I have a hen that has a large gash on her side. I guess from the toms or something tried to get her trough the wire. I was thinking of something to go over her to cover the wound and protect her. Some sort of cloth tube? I don't think a standard hen apron would go down far enough to cover the wound. Any ideas on how to do it?

2. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Normally I just clean the wound the put corona cream one it. Then I just wrap it with an ace bandage if need be although most of the time I don't wrap it and I have had great luck with full recoveries.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

A cut on the side of the hens is usually caused by mating. Poultry heal amazingly fast, the only thing I do is watch for infection and let them heal up. if it's a mating wound and she is still in with the toms it will get worse if they try to mate her again.

Steve

4. greyartist

greyartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2010
    NC
    I have separated the toms once I saw the wound. I put betadine on it.

5. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Depending on the size of the wound clean the wound and use blue coat to spray over the wounds. Large wound may require a few stitches to close. Blue coat creates an artificial scab over the wound to seal it up.

Tom

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Spraying some Adams tick a flea spray (or the like) on the wing feathers (not on wound) will keep the majority of flies from bothering wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by