How to make chicks friendly

I sit in a foldable chair that allows me to be close to the ground and stretch my legs out and after a bit my girls like to come over and sit on my legs like a perch. I just sit quietly for a while. They get curious after a bit.

Attachments

• 8B27CEAC-84C2-4B19-B945-CF4F5E64DE4A.jpeg
    8B27CEAC-84C2-4B19-B945-CF4F5E64DE4A.jpeg
    972.9 KB · Views: 8
I enforced mandatory petting, lol! so in one hand I’ll have their favorite treats, and with the other hand I’ll grope them shamelessly as they ate :oops:

What? you don’t want to be pet? well no tasty treats for you! It worked well as a positive reinforcement, treats = good thing. When good thing happens, petting happens, therefore petting = good thing. so by that equation eventually they’ll associate petting with something good instead of something scary. No chicken could resist the treats, worked like a charm.

I enforced mandatory petting, lol! so in one hand I’ll have their favorite treats, and with the other hand I’ll grope them shamelessly as they ate :oops:

What? you don’t want to be pet? well no tasty treats for you! It worked well as a positive reinforcement, treats = good thing. When good thing happens, petting happens, therefore petting = good thing. so by that equation eventually they’ll associate petting with something good instead of something scary. No chicken could resist the treats, worked like a charm.
Chickens are very food driven 😂. I have a few trained to jump onto my arm to make it more convenient for me to pet them, based solely on their love of mealworms and pomegranate seeds!

💕 I've got two new 3 mo. BR's . I bring them in before they are tucked in and hold them and love them up. I hang out with them while passing out treats , we just sit and talk. The building of trust takes time and patience..treats can speed things up.
I sit in a foldable chair that allows me to be close to the ground and stretch my legs out and after a bit my girls like to come over and sit on my legs like a perch. I just sit quietly for a while. They get curious after a bit.

good to know, my chicks don't like fruit but they LOVE cabbage, with all of your guy's help I really think that I can turn them into some LoveBugs

good to know, my chicks don't like fruit but they LOVE cabbage, with all of your guy's help I really think that I can turn them into some LoveBugs
so guys... I have Good News and Bad News
The good news is that 1 chick is allowing me to pet them while eating cabbage out of my hand

The bad news is that while I was out there with them a hawk was above us looking around for its new prey well if I wasn't there I probably would've lost a chick because they didn't see the hawk what so ever and their area isn't covered so right know they are in a dog crate which is on grass so that they can graze without being attacked, I really don't want to have this problem do any of you guys have any suggestions

Yay for the good news! We have the occasional hawk too, but we have cover. Can you make a chicken tractor for them to graze in? If you look up plans online it would give you ideas and you can price out parts. I have seen them made out of PVC with medium bird netting and half covered with a tarp for shelter. Daytime use only though.

Back
Top Bottom