how to make ducks lay less eggs?

they lay 2-3 eggs a day for just 2 hens. that seems like it’s not healthy for them. are the implants worth it?
Hormonal implants are not tested or approved by the FDA for use in food animals - ducks. Even if the patient is a pet. It can be hard to find a vet willing to put their career and license at risk even for an animal who is suffering.

I have had very sick ducks get the implants. They cost about $140 and last about 4 weeks-3 months. They don't always work and some ducks need two at a time. We had to get another one every 6 weeks until my duck passed away from an unrelated condition. You can never eat the eggs from that duck again (the implant stays in their body forever), or any eggs from any duck in that coop just in case.

A consistent 10 hour daylight schedule has been my vets recommendation to dealing with over active egg layers. We use a lamp on a timer to make sure there is no human error. If your ducks are still inside at night light could be getting in from under the doors. Also noises from the TV, talking, ECT will interupt their sleeping patterns. I wouldn't believe it, but my vet told me to be quiet near the barn after putting my ducks to bed.

It might not be a problem though. You have an avian vet, right? They would probably tell you if an occasional extra egg a day is an issue. Since I'm an established customer I can call or email my vet with a question here and there. They let me know if it is something I should come in for.

Reducing their light hours might help them lay less eggs. Try restricting light to 8-10 hours a day to see if that helps. IMO hormone implants aren't worth it because you would be disturbing her natural hormone levels, and that could potentially have negative side effects. Plus the anesthesia has a chance of killing the ducks while they are having surgery.

Back
Top Bottom