how to make ducks lay less eggs?

Wing clipping isn't harmful, but not sure how that would stop them from laying since it's literally just trimming feathers. They're laying healthy amounts, and if you can't use them and won't sell them, just feed them back to the birds

they lay 2-3 eggs a day for just 2 hens. that seems like it’s not healthy for them. are the implants worth it?
Hormonal implants are not tested or approved by the FDA for use in food animals - ducks. Even if the patient is a pet. It can be hard to find a vet willing to put their career and license at risk even for an animal who is suffering.

I have had very sick ducks get the implants. They cost about $140 and last about 4 weeks-3 months. They don't always work and some ducks need two at a time. We had to get another one every 6 weeks until my duck passed away from an unrelated condition. You can never eat the eggs from that duck again (the implant stays in their body forever), or any eggs from any duck in that coop just in case.

A consistent 10 hour daylight schedule has been my vets recommendation to dealing with over active egg layers. We use a lamp on a timer to make sure there is no human error. If your ducks are still inside at night light could be getting in from under the doors. Also noises from the TV, talking, ECT will interupt their sleeping patterns. I wouldn't believe it, but my vet told me to be quiet near the barn after putting my ducks to bed.

It might not be a problem though. You have an avian vet, right? They would probably tell you if an occasional extra egg a day is an issue. Since I'm an established customer I can call or email my vet with a question here and there. They let me know if it is something I should come in for.

Hormonal implants are not tested or approved by the FDA for use in food animals - ducks. Even if the patient is a pet. It can be hard to find a vet willing to put their career and license at risk even for an animal who is suffering.

I have had very sick ducks get the implants. They cost about $140 and last about 4 weeks-3 months. They don't always work and some ducks need two at a time. We had to get another one every 6 weeks until my duck passed away from an unrelated condition. You can never eat the eggs from that duck again (the implant stays in their body forever), or any eggs from any duck in that coop just in case.

A consistent 10 hour daylight schedule has been my vets recommendation to dealing with over active egg layers. We use a lamp on a timer to make sure there is no human error. If your ducks are still inside at night light could be getting in from under the doors. Also noises from the TV, talking, ECT will interupt their sleeping patterns. I wouldn't believe it, but my vet told me to be quiet near the barn after putting my ducks to bed.

It might not be a problem though. You have an avian vet, right? They would probably tell you if an occasional extra egg a day is an issue. Since I'm an established customer I can call or email my vet with a question here and there. They let me know if it is something I should come in for.
thank you so much! yes i have a vet so i’ll ask them about it (probably over call, quarantine has started again here so vet may be back to emergency only)

thank you so much! yes i have a vet so i’ll ask them about it (probably over call, quarantine has started again here so vet may be back to emergency only)
Take care asking about the hormonal implant specifically - if that is something you are still interested in. Personally, I would recommend asking if there is any concern with the quantity of eggs your girls are laying. If there is I would ask about environmental changes first. I have completed stopped egg laying more than once in my pekin by environmental changes only - under her doctor's recommendations.

Veterinarians can literally face jail time and lose their license - so they are very justified in not giving out drugs like hormonal implants to ducks. Sometimes they can get a bit ruffled when a client asks them about one of those drugs right away. It usually goes over better if you ask, "Is there a medicine for this?"

Take care asking about the hormonal implant specifically - if that is something you are still interested in. Personally, I would recommend asking if there is any concern with the quantity of eggs your girls are laying. If there is I would ask about environmental changes first. I have completed stopped egg laying more than once in my pekin by environmental changes only - under her doctor's recommendations.

Veterinarians can literally face jail time and lose their license - so they are very justified in not giving out drugs like hormonal implants to ducks. Sometimes they can get a bit ruffled when a client asks them about one of those drugs right away. It usually goes over better if you ask, "Is there a medicine for this?"
yeah i definitely don’t want to make the girls get the implants if not necessary

Back
Top Bottom